Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please ...? >

Advice please ...?

Advice please ...?

Old 05-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I would never dream of trying to get a daughter or DIL to sew. If they showed any interest, however, I'd encourage it to the max, without being manipulative. It's the kind of thing that if a person isn't interested on their own, you just can't make that happen. She sees your stuff, knows you love it, and still isn't interested all that much. Just wait til she initiates something on her own, which may never happen.

My daughter has finally shown some interest in sewing, after seeing all the stuff in my Etsy shop! The business end of it appealed to her-- that she might be able to sell a few things and augment her income. I bought her a featherweight for Christmas, and sent her a box of cool fabrics and some books, but I think that's as far as it went. I'm not going to bug her. When it's time, she may sew. Or not...
Old 05-05-2011, 05:44 AM

Stop being selfish and leave the poor girl alone! you can't MAKE her want to quilt! or generally be craft for that matter. Be happy that if the time comes that you son needs a button sewn on something she can do it. Many women these days CAN'T and WON'T! Go find youself someone else to quilt with and leave the poor DIL alone.

My husbands grandmother (she raised him so refer to her as my HatefulMIL) is a shopper she loves to buy clothing and just junk in general. I am not this way. I don't care to have crap all over my walls and fancy rugs on my floors. Well this woman tried pushing and pushing her ways on me. I can NOT stand the woman now and any time she buys crap for the house and sends it here I throw it out. Even if it were something that I would have liked years ago before she pushed her ways on me......

So my advice STOP. before she takes it personal and stops likeing not only your hobby but also YOU! You wouldn't want to make them a beautiful quilt and her be so turned off that she trashes it!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:48 AM

I think if she is going to be interested in quilting she will probably get interested by seeing you quilt. I'm sure there are other things that you and her might enjoy doing together. Just enjoy your relation with her.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Stop being selfish and leave the poor girl alone! you can't MAKE her want to quilt! or generally be craft for that matter. Be happy that if the time comes that you son needs a button sewn on something she can do it. Many women these days CAN'T and WON'T! Go find youself someone else to quilt with and leave the poor DIL alone.
So my advice STOP. before she takes it personal and stops likeing not only your hobby but also YOU! You wouldn't want to make them a beautiful quilt and her be so turned off that she trashes it!
I agree!!! Sounds like you are trying to be a controlling MIL! Let your son go and set his own family. All that you should be concerned abut is that she loves your son and makes him happy. Get your own life and leave theirs alone!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:59 AM

At this point, it may not be the best thing to do to make up a kit for her. Kits can be daunting. Maybe just make up some blocks and in the process of showing them to her, point out how they went together. Some people see the whole block, but they don't see the components, or how the components can be arranged or rearranged to make a totally different pattern. I have a friend who's a banker, and that's the way I got her into it. She's now fascinated with patterns. Next step: to get her sewing them. She's fascinated with D9Ps. Right now she's still cutting out different shaped pieces of paper and putting them together in various patterns, but she's just about ready to tackle the fabric. But she's done it on her own and in her own time. Sometimes they just have to be teased, and we have to show them how to SEE first (if you look at some of Rhonda's tutorials, you'll see what I mean by teaching someone to see... Rhonda is a past master at showing us how to see). Be patient with her. :)
Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by calano1
My goodness!! Why did I wait so long before I asked?!?!

A BIG thank you to everyone for your responses ... I really do appreciate it!

I think the people on the Quilting Board are all under-cover psychologists!!!!! :)

Thank you all!
I want to add, if you need something to help remind you to keep still when you see her sitting around...

Right before my husband and I were married, his sister and mother cornered me and gave me a four-hour lecture about...Amway.

Amway. And my turd of a fiance went to bed (well, couch - no co-sleeping before marriage ;)) so I was left all alone with the gruesome twosome and their pamphlets, videos and lectures about taking care of my family.

DH did pay for that, of course.

Anyway, Amway. They were super-passionate about it and there was nothing I could do to get out without being rude to my new inlaws.

I know you aren't doing this, and you wouldn't treat your DIL this way, but if you need a reminder sometimes just think to yourself: Amway. And laugh. And just go back to your sewing machine with a smile. :)
Old 05-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Calano1- don't worry, I'm a prime example of someone who would NOT go near a sewing machine growing up and well, I think you know the end of my story!! LOL
Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by calano1
My goodness!! Why did I wait so long before I asked?!?!
A BIG thank you to everyone for your responses ... I really do appreciate it!
I think the people on the Quilting Board are all under-cover psychologists!!!!! :)
Thank you all!

I think I may have spoken too soon ...

[SOME] of the people on the QB are under-cover psychologists ... :D :D :D :D

Others are just venting ... quite sad actually ...

Nevertheless ... those that did not take it personally and understood the questions gave wonderful advice. THANKS!!!:thumbup: :)
Old 05-05-2011, 06:26 AM

It is a real shame that more people wouldn't get interested in quilting and sewing. It is very relaxing and rewarding. These days everyone wants to do all this texting back and forth and to me that is a waste of time and energy and nonproductive.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 AM

Everyone has given good advise. If she isn't asking question and suggesting lessons, she just isn't interested. I have 3 daughters and one DDIL and none of them are interested in quilting. They all love the things that I make for them, but do not want to make anything themselves. I have 3 DGD who all want to learn how to sew. Just be patient and someday you will have GD's and you can teach them to sew. Grandmothers are wonderful in their eyes. That's been my experience, and if that doesn't happen, you will have many to gift with your quilts.
Sue