Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did you learn how to quilt? >

How did you learn how to quilt?

How did you learn how to quilt?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:07 PM

An easy kit and books
Old 05-14-2011, 04:08 PM

I am self taught. I learned by reading pattrns and magazines. My first quilt has so many mistakes in it. I used a cotton/ poly blend fabric and 5/8 inch seam allowances because I though 1/4 inch seams would not stand up to the washing and wearing the quilt would have to take. I didn't bind it, but I did "pillow case" it and then top stitch around the outside edge and machine quilted it on my Sears Kenmore machine. The quilt turned out surprisingly well and my daughter still has it. I made it for her when she was 2 years old and she is 37 now. I have come a long ways since then.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:13 PM

About 10 or 15 years ago, I pieced a top side of a potholder. It wasn't very good, but I was hooked and have been ever since.

I just don't have enough time to sew with working full time.
Awaiting retirement!!!!

chris
Old 05-14-2011, 04:17 PM

Like DogHouseMom, I am self taugh with a garment/home dec sewing background. A friend was quilting and got me interested. Watched Simply Quilts on HGTV and it was all over but the cryin'! DH was very supportive even though I was unemployed at the time. He figured it was probably a cheaper hobby/craft than other things I could have become interested in.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:35 PM

I learned from the Internet and magazines.

Mary
Old 05-14-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
TV, magazines, books and self taught. It also helped that I had 30+ years of sewing, so my machine was already my friend. I should also add, here on QB.
Wow! This pretty much describes me too :-o I might add - "trial and error" was also my teacher.... lol
Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 PM

Mine started with wishing I had a quilt for my queen sized bed like I had on my twin bed when I was a child. I didn't know it at the time but that one was a hand pieced Trip Around the World that my GG-GM had made in the 1930s. I just was kind of thinking that I would love to learn how to do that.

Without mentioning that to anyone, my MIL decided that she was going to buy her DD (my SIL) and myself a sewing machine. At that point I mentioned to my husband that I would kind of like to learn to quilt. He said that his Aunt (in this case his father's brother's wife) did quilting so I should talk to her. She lives in another city but did once live here. She sent me to what is now my LQS.

I signed up for a class that made the Yellow Brick Road quilt with absolute beginners over the course of eight three hour courses. I knew I needed more classes but was hooked. That was January 2004. The LQS also offered a Quilting By Degree Program that is 87 hours of instruction in total. Rotary Cutter Basics (3 hours) Primarily Patchwork (12 hours) Quilt Construction (12 hours) Hand Quilting (6 hours) Machine Quilting (6 hours) Colour Wheel Basics 1 (6 hours) Colour Wheel Basics 2 (6 hours) Colour Wheel Basics 3 (6 hours) Colour Wheel Basics 4 (6 hours) Applique Basics (6 hours) Foundation Piecing (6 hours) Quilt Labels (6 hours) Quilt Binding (6 Hours). There are no time limits between start and finish and the LQS tracks your courses for you. You can also take the courses just cause you want to, rather than only those who are working towards their "degree".

What with no children in 2004 and a 6yo boy and 3 yo girl now, I am registered for Foundation Piecing next Saturday and then Quilt Labels on June 16th and I will finally be finished!!!!

They do also do a "Master's Degree" of much more advanced courses where there are a few required courses and then a bunch of courses that you choose from in order to total a certain number of hours of class. I've started that one already too.

I am loving my courses and am sooooo excited with finally finishing my "degree" after seven years.

Tara
Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
TV, magazines, books and self taught. It also helped that I had 30+ years of sewing, so my machine was already my friend. I should also add, here on QB.
Wow! This pretty much describes me too :-o I might add - "trial and error" was also my teacher.... lol
Old 05-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Books and magazines, then I took a couple of workshops. I think I'm still learning though!! I've learned a lot on this site!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:42 PM

I am still learning. Keeping up with this board helps so much. I learn something everyday. I would like to teach my grandaughter someday.