Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My neighbor brought me over another sewing machine. >
  • My neighbor brought me over another sewing machine.

• My neighbor brought me over another sewing machine.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:07 AM

my little Kenmore looks alot like the one in the picture. it is a nice machine. teaching my GD to sew on it. its almost 40 years and it does the zigzag. so cool of your neighbor
    Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by hspirit_99
    my little Kenmore looks alot like the one in the picture. it is a nice machine. teaching my GD to sew on it. its almost 40 years and it does the zigzag. so cool of your neighbor
    Oh Right on. I was shocked at how quiet the motor is on it. Definitely quieter then my brother xl2600. Sure hope your GD has fun learning how to sew with her grandma. ")
    Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by sllj40
    Originally Posted by Airwick156
    The same neighbor that gave me that New Home machine called me up a bit ago and asked me to come over for a minute in which I did. And boy am I glad I did.
    She said I have something for you and your going to love it. And she showed me this Kenmore sewing machine and it has a case!! I checked to see if there was a bobbin case and YES THERE WAS. Woohoo that made my day. I know that it does a zig zag stitch as that is what it was set on, it had a needle, a zig zag foot (I guess unless its a regular one too that you can do zig zag with). There is no button holer, but thats okay my brother has one. I cleaned it up just a little to get a picture of it to post. I sure don't know why my camera on my cell phone is blurred every time I take a picture. Its not an old phone, Ive only had it since the last week of February. She has the manual. But she left it on her moms kitchen table and she actually was headed back over to her moms to take them dinner and will bring the manual back. I haven't looked at it to see any serial numbers or anything yet.
    Ain't God so good! :-)
    God is the BEST of the BEST!!!
    Old 05-16-2011, 03:16 AM

you are a lucky lady, and you new sewing buddy is one lucky lady that you live next door. what a great story. wishing your and your new quilting buddy all the best. oh and i do believe that you turn the little wheel while holding the big one. that is how mine works and also my singer. i had to really work hard to get my singer to move but it is because she had been sitting for over 20 years. have fun

Is there anything specific I should check? We plugged it in at her house, there is a needle that will get replaced, the light works, the foot pedal works oh and is metal and says kenmore on it LOL. The motor purrs and is quieter then my Brother is. Darn, now that means tomorrow I really need to get in my sewing room and get it straightened up so that I can check it out. I did try to thread it and wasn't quite sure how to go about that. Now for the wheel...only because I do not have the manual right now, when you wind bobbins on the older machines, don't you have to hold the big wheel with one hand and turn the smaller wheel towards you before you wind the bobbin? Well I tried to do that and so did she but it wouldnt turn either way.
    One thing about this neighbor..shes a sweetheart she really is. Shes a young mother of 2 a boy and a girl. And is the best young mother I have seen in years. Her kids come first no matter what. Anyways, while we were checking it out, she asked me if I would teach her to sew. OMG. I told her I sure would and now I have a machine for her to use. I told her DON'T buy any fabric as I have tons and will share it with her. I think, I may start her out doing a 9 patch. I will cut some squares out for her after she picks out some fabric. :) She asked me if I thought it would help to relax her and I said I think it would. So now its just a matter of deciding "when" we can start. I'm so excited I may end up with a sewing buddy yet.
    Old 05-16-2011, 04:19 AM

The same neighbor that gave me that New Home machine called me up a bit ago and asked me to come over for a minute in which I did. And boy am I glad I did.
    She said I have something for you and your going to love it. And she showed me this Kenmore sewing machine and it has a case!! I checked to see if there was a bobbin case and YES THERE WAS. Woohoo that made my day. I know that it does a zig zag stitch as that is what it was set on, it had a needle, a zig zag foot (I guess unless its a regular one too that you can do zig zag with). There is no button holer, but thats okay my brother has one. I cleaned it up just a little to get a picture of it to post. I sure don't know why my camera on my cell phone is blurred every time I take a picture. Its not an old phone, Ive only had it since the last week of February. She has the manual. But she left it on her moms kitchen table and she actually was headed back over to her moms to take them dinner and will bring the manual back. I haven't looked at it to see any serial numbers or anything yet.
    Can't beat friends like that I hope you get to enjoy your machine for many years to come and your friend also.
    Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 AM

Looks just like mine! If it is, when winding the bobbin the big wheel on the end pulls out a notch, and the peg that you place the empty bobbin on (on top right) gets pushed toward the right also. Both get pushed back when the bobbin is full. Any model number? I love my Kenmore, it has lasted through 5 kids, 3 marriages (don't ask), and only needs cleaning and oil to keep it going. I should be so lucky.
    Old 05-16-2011, 04:26 AM

What a great neighbor!! Congrats!
    Old 05-16-2011, 04:30 AM

wish I had some neighbors like that.
    enjoy your new toy.....Charlotte
    Old 05-16-2011, 04:38 AM

What would I give to have a neighbor like this one...a quilt...oh yeah.
    Old 05-16-2011, 05:57 AM

What a great neighbor