Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many of you have a longarm?? >

How many of you have a longarm??

How many of you have a longarm??

Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned

I have a Gammill Optimum that I bought brand new a year and a half ago. I have quilted over 150 quilts in that timeframe with the majority of them being charity quilts for the American Hero quilts that get sent to our soldiers in Afghanastan. I do all types of quilting - pantographs, free motion and custom quilting. As well as renting time of my longarm for those who wish to quilt their own tops. I understand the desire to have a quilt made from start to finish by yourself. It does seem to go in cycles and I definitely could not make a living just by doing longarm quilting, some months I don't even make enough to pay for the longarm payment which is compariable to a new car payment. So before anyone invests in a longarm there are alot of things to consider.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Yes, I have a longarm and I LOVE it. I keep busy with customer quilts. I really enjoy seeing all the different type quilts come in. I do pantos, custom and heirloom quilting. My business comes by word of mouth. There are a lot of longarm quilters in my area. I don't know how busy the others are but I stay busy enough that I have often referred a customer to another quilter in the area. There have been at least 12 people in the last couple of years who were wanting to purchase a longarm or had a longarm and wanted to come to my studio and watch me work to get pointers or advice. Longarming isn't for everyone. And I now longarm quilt for some of those who came thinking they wanted to longarm their quilts. I charge for the quilting labor, the batting and the thread and have to collect sales tax on the batting and thread, (unless my customer brings their own batting and/or thread.) Just love what I do and do what I love.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:33 PM

I have a long arm and quilt for myself and for others. I have had a long arm for four years now.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:39 PM

I do. It's just to quilt my own quilts.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:15 PM

I am looking forward to using my LA in the near future. I got it last fall but ended up having surgery so it's an expensive dust collector at this point.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:24 AM

I have had my HQ Avante since Aprio 2011. I love to do stipple quilting from the front. I have not even tried pantos. I have the computer if I want something specific but right now my quilts look so pretty with the stipple quilting. I have done a few for customers as well and they are tired of the pantos as well. I have cotton batting and poly but most friends and I agree that the poly makes the most cuddly quilt. Happy Quilting. N
Old 05-17-2011, 05:05 AM

I have an old Handi-Quilter 16. One of the first they made so it must be 10 years old. I love it and it has just made the 8,000 miles from SoCal to Santiago Chile. Had a table built here and it takes the whole guest room 10ft+. I have 2" either side b4 it's cement wall time. (The table was made to come part when we have to move :)

I mostly do my own goodies. I allow others to come and do their own Q's if they want to The machine is so simple. It goes up and down for crying out loud. I don't think I could kill it if I tried. (OK the computer chips maybe) Don't have many brave takers on the 'Q your own' option as they are intimidated. :) But I don't enjoy trying to work to s/o else's specifications. Let the mistakes be theirs is my motto. Although I let them practice first on a sheet sandwich I made from Thrift store acquisitions.

There are hand quilters here for $40 too and they are OK for the unlearned who just want a product and the batting here is mostly poly. I have the only Q'ing machine for 1,000 mile so I will be getting more requests for custom work I imagine. OTOH not all that many patcher's BG.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:08 AM

I had a older NuStyle for abour 4 years, I sold it about and about 3 years ago bought a new Gammill Classic with all the bells and whistles, love it. I quilt for myself and a few friends. I also do QOV it helps get in hours or practice.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:23 AM

maybe someday
Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 AM

I purchased my first longarm 9 yrs ago and started a business quilting for others. I specialize in custom work. Three yrs ago DH and I became reps for APQS, purchased a second machine and opened a rental studio.
It does not take a lot of quilts to pay off a machine but there are lots more expenses that go with the business, not just the machine. I suggest a five yr plan to my customers.