Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
backaches at sewing machine >

backaches at sewing machine

backaches at sewing machine

Old 05-17-2011, 11:03 AM

My Chiropractor taught me a good exercise called 'Static Back' lie on floor with your feet on a chair, knees bent 90deg, bottom right up against chair, extend arms to the side and rest palms upwards. Lie there for 15mins. It really helps the back/neck muscles to relax and seems to re-align the spine! Hope this helps!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 AM

Lots of breaks!! I know lots of us have a small pressing board right beside their machine so they can just swivel to press....I make myself get up to press as it changes my posture, and gives me an opportunity for a good stretch.

And then, I do treat myself to a massage every couple of weeks...because I'm worth it. ;)

Patti
Old 05-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

The chair makes a huge difference. I found that any chairs, even adjustable office chairs were just a little too low. Eventually I purchased an adjustable drafting chair ... it's lowest is the highest of an office chair ... and then goes up from there!

Works perfect at the machine ... and I can raise it if I want to work at my cutting table or ironing board (sometimes use it to work off, as it's oversized and just right!)

Classes so often have horrible chair/table combos. I take two chair pads with me, to gain the extra height ... and it lets me sit and sew so much more comfortably for the longer periods we push ourselves to, when in a class!

At home ... make yourself, take the breaks regularly!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 AM

You didn't say whether it was upper back or lower back pain and I know that cjmomma mentioned hip pain. I'd read a response a while back from AliKat and she recommended this special cushion - the one I have is called a Gypsy Sit-Upon and I got it through Nancy's Notions. It mimics a balance ball and takes pressure of your pressure points - I used it for my Quilting Boot-Camp experience with my weekend long Judy Niemeyer machine piecing class and felt great at the end. It cost me about $30.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:05 PM

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! The suggestions all seem like they would work, esp. if I did several of them.

The worst pain is just below my waist to the right. The surface gets numb, but about 1/2" to 1" below the skin level the is murderous pain.

I do have an adjustable chair that works as well as any chair I have used. I am going to read and re-read your sugestion so I can easily recall them to put into practice.

Again so many many thanks
JUlie
Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM

I also found that if I have one foot(obviously the one not used for the pedal)on a book or something like it releives the tension. I know it is recomemded to keep feet flat on the floor, but that bothers me more. I would sit with my legs curled up on the chair if I could figure how to operate the foot pedal...LOL...
Be sure your arm from finger tips to elbow are parallel with the floor.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 PM

I was told by someone at a quilt class that since she started using her start/stop button on her Janome Gem, she doesn't get back pain anymore. Doesn't help me, my Janome doesn't have that feature!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 PM

One of the things to think about is how you are positioning your legs, particularly the height if the pedal. I have found that when I get the correct height for my upper body, it ends up being 2 inches too high for my foot. When I put the pedal on a 1.5 inch platform ( big enough for both feet) it helped.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 PM

Several years ago I went through a period of about 2-3 months of lower back pain that was aggravated when I was sewing. I tried putting a pillow behind my back and that did help me enough that I was able to sew and not be in pain.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:25 PM

I use rubber door stops under the back of my machine to make it lean towards me a bit. It helps me alot. And I bought them at the dollar store. :)