Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting and eye strain >
  • Quilting and eye strain

• Quilting and eye strain

Old 05-23-2011, 03:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice! You gals are the best!

I think I need to have a thorough eye exam and possibly see if I need a little "visual assistance". This is all so new to me because I have always had stellar vision, but I am getting older now and it makes sense that things are going to be changing.

I thought about doing cheaters, but I have heard that they will make it worse in the long run. I guess I just need to see what the doctor has to say and take it from there.

Thanks again for all the advice!
    Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 PM
    Power Poster

If my old memory is reliable, the morning of my 45th birthday, when I opened my 45 year old eyes, I needed bi- focals. Just that quick. Eyes go from perfect to bi- focals. Try a mild magnifier glasses but only for a trial time, Then go to the eye doctor to cofirm readers or more. Good luck!
    Old 05-23-2011, 03:26 PM

Oh yeah! That was when I couldn't read the ATM! Freaked out! hubby pointed out I was getting old! Yuk! Get the reading glasses!
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:20 PM

Sounds like an appointment with the eye doctor is in your future .. :D or at least that's what I would do.

It's never wise to take a chance with your eyes and the doctor can check everything so you know if there's anything serious or just 'aging vision' ~ :D Good luck ~
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
    Now mind you...

I am 47 years old and have always had 20/20 vision. I have never needed glasses and have never had difficulties with anything - even cutting and piecing quilts for extensive periods of time caused no problems.

However, since I started machine applique, I am having troublesome issues. I get headaches and for some strange reason, my eyes have difficulty accommodating from near to far vision, and I have blurriness for quite a while after I am done on the machine. It seems as if my eyes are too tired and too strained to adjust and focus, so my far vision is compromised for about an hour - then everything clears up and my vision is normal again.

This is all new to me, and I don't want to give up machine applique! Would glasses help? Would one of those magnifying lenses in front of the needle help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are getting older :lol: :lol: :lol: I know...47 isn't old!!!

Truthfully though, as we get older the lenses in our eyes harden and are not as flexible. If you do close-up work for an extended period of time, you will have trouble focusing on distant objects. It is this diminished flexibility that causes this experience. When looking at distant objects, our lenses flatten out, and just the opposite when we look at things up close. Then, the lenses change to a shape that looks like this >

When we are young, our eyes can make these changes easily, but as the lenses harden, our recovery period lengthens.

When is the last time you visited an Opthamologist for a thorough eye exam? If you have never seen one, I am encouraging you to go. I have had lifelong vision issues (long story for another day) so I am somewhat compulsive when it comes to eye health. I also encourage you to see an Opthamologist as opposed to an optometrist or optition.
    Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 AM

I started needing eyeglasses 2 years ago at 42 years old. Do you notice first thing in the morning that it is hard to read small print for about an hour after you get up. That is what I started to notice at first. I just need reading glasses and started out with the ones you can get at the drug store and still do use them around the house and use my perscription glasses at work.
    Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
    Thanks for all the advice! You gals are the best!

I think I need to have a thorough eye exam and possibly see if I need a little "visual assistance". This is all so new to me because I have always had stellar vision, but I am getting older now and it makes sense that things are going to be changing.

I thought about doing cheaters, but I have heard that they will make it worse in the long run. I guess I just need to see what the doctor has to say and take it from there.

I'm just a little older than you. We would have been in high school at one point together. I found the same thing happening and all of a sudden, I could understand all those vision jokes that didn't make make sense to me before. Needle threaders on machines or not are my new best friend. And I really notice poor lighting when I am trying to read.
    I'm making my appt. for this summer. Good luck to us both!
    Thanks again for all the advice!
    Oops - sorry, didn't mean for my writing to end up with yours.
    Old 05-24-2011, 03:40 AM

When you go for your eye exam, explain to the doc specifically what you are having issues with as well as just a general exam. I've worn contacts/glasses most of my life. Can't wear 'progressive' lenses - they make me dizzy. I have 'real' glasses for the computer and driving but the eye doc told me to use good ol' drug store readers for my needle work - both hand and machine. Said to get whatever strength worked. I find WM has the best deal going. You can get 3 pair (of same strength) for about $11. I get varying strengths for different purposes. They are everywhere in the house - kitchen for reading directions/labels; 2 at side chair for sewing and other tasks; sewing room; bedroom for reading at night. It's more than likely an age thing but definitely should be checked. And welcome to the club!
    Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 AM

Reading glasses should do the trick, I too was fine up tilll my later 40's, and started noticing I didn't enjoy doing hand work or reading as much as I once had, didn't put my finger on it till I tried a pair of reading glasses. 1.0's to start. This got me back on track again! They even have them at the Dollar Store, so they are affordable enough to have them all over the house where needed, in your purse, car, locker - drawer at work... My eye doctor even said this was the way to go - admitted she could sell me glasses for a hundred+, but off the shelf would be fine.
    Now at 55 years old, I'm in bifocals due to my work - just goes to show you we can't control everything! :shock: :XD: :thumbup:
    Old 05-24-2011, 04:06 AM

I agree with dd. I use those magnifier glasses all the time. I have a pair in #2 for the computer and #3 for the fine work. You can go and try them on for the strengths for your eyes. Test them out on some reading material in the store (i.e. a package) and take some small sewing piece with you and see if you can see the stitches ok.

Also get yourself some good eye drops like Systane Ultra. If you can't find them in the store you can probably get them online. They come recommended by my eye doctor.