Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who can tell me about "polished cotton"? >

Who can tell me about "polished cotton"?

Who can tell me about "polished cotton"?

Old 05-25-2011, 03:46 AM

polished cotton is a lovely smooth cotton that used tto be cherished. now i am glad it is back and it would be lovely to use in a quilt to accent a block or a color. buy one fg and see for yourself. you will love it. try a nice soft pink.betbet
Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 AM

I used polished cotton in a quilt. The only negative effect is that it tends to look a shade different when viewed from different angles so it appeared that I had used various shades in the quilt but it was all the same fabric
Old 05-25-2011, 04:22 AM

I have used it in quilts. It was a solid and I flipped it upside down so the shiny wouldn't show.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:33 AM

Same fabric is also called "cotton satin" in some instances. I have used it and the finish does eventually wear off but the fabric itself wears well.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:43 AM

Many interesting comments. I just purchased a shower curtain in a print that I love, at a garage sale....so I washed it, and was hoping to use it in a quilt also. After washing it, the chintz fabric was very wrinkled, so now I may just use it for a tablecloth. I guess it depends on, if you like that real vintage look, and if you use smaller pieces in the quilt. If you wash it, that may be your determining factor. Good luck whatever you do.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

I think if I washed all the fabrics before cutting, I'd be okay with using it.

Polished cotton and cotton sateen are different.

Cotton sateen is woven differently than "ordinary" cottons.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Marion T
I've used chintz type fabrics in quilts, and although the glaze does wear off eventually with repeated washings, I've never had any problems. Its just a different finish on the cotton. Go ahead, if you like the fabric, use it!
I LOVE chintz !
Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 AM

I have used polished cotton for curtains and such but with the weight of the polished cotton to the weight of the newer quilting fabrics I wouldn't mix the two. Sometimes the sheen washes away and sometimes it doesn't and as someone has stated the polished cotton does take on a different appearence when put at different angles.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Marion T
I've used chintz type fabrics in quilts, and although the glaze does wear off eventually with repeated washings, I've never had any problems. Its just a different finish on the cotton. Go ahead, if you like the fabric, use it!
I agree, I have been using a wood grain polished cottton in quilts for the last 30+ years with-out a problem.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
Same fabric is also called "cotton satin" in some instances. I have used it and the finish does eventually wear off but the fabric itself wears well.
the cotton satin I've seen looks the same as any satin, just made from cotton. Polished cotton IMO is quite different.