Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB?? >
  • Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB??

• Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB??

Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM

I didn't go to Mexico, but did have the gastric sleeve 6 months ago. I am now 2 lbs from my goal! Absolutely love the results!!! Not a single second of regret. PM if you have any questions.
    Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 AM

Oh Charisma... please be careful. I have a friend who had the lap band done in MO. She "needed" it to lose weight to have her knee replacement (or so said her dr there). She was bottom heavy as well. Anyway, post-surgery vomiting led to a lot of stomach pain. Drs there said it was nothing. This went on for a long time - her and her dh moved up here last year - and the dr's here discovered that her lap band had shifted from that vomiting and she now had a hole in her stomach from friction. She's had a couple of surgeries since, and tons of complicatons. She's still not totally recovered. It was just awful - she was really close to death because of it.
    For the money, what about hiring a personal trainer and joining Weight Watchers? I'm sure it would be much healthier overall. And then I wouldn't have to worry! lol!
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 PM

We have a "Weight Loss" on the Board already.Just scroll on this thread till you find "2011 WEIGHT LOSS VENTURE".I joined this month.In fact one of the gals is having surgery tomorrow for the Lap Band.There is a lot is support and we do help one another out.So,come join us.
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by kat112000
    I have been doing some research as well. Sounds like you and I are built the same! I live in Canada and have to pay for the lapband, but can have a gastric bypass paid for. A friend of mine did the gastric with amazing results!! Still not sure if I want the gastric done.
    I know the gastric bypass is very invasive... the lapband are minor surgeries....that is the only reason I am considering it. Lots to think about.
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:48 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by 0tis
    I don't have the information but my brother-in-law's girlfriend had surgery in Mexico and she was very pleased but I don't know where or what - I would investigate the Dr. and Hospital because you don't have the same recourse that we do in the USA - if you can - visit the place and ask for references - just trust your gut instinct about the place and the Dr.
    I have the same shape as you - it is difficult for me to lose weight - I lost 35 pounds and I counted calories and exercised every day - it took me 7 months of discipline to get there - I see those ads where people lose 20 lbs in a month - no way...After I had my hysterectomy (at 39) - the weight just packed on - I am trying again but its not budging very easy.
    Just be careful Charismah - we would hate to hear any negative outcomes with your surgery...
    Yes...I think we do have the same body. I did work out for several months...counted calories. I lost about 40 pounds...maybe 45. Trained for a half marathon. ran about 20 miles a week. Then I hit a wall and my emotional self wouldn't let me continue. I know it is just a mental block. Even with that 40 pounds I went down 1 pant size. LOL I did feel good..and felt more comfortable in my skin but one pant size killed me! Other people lose 20 pounds and go down 2 pant sizes..not me...oh well. I just need to be thankful.
    I will never just jump into anything without research. But I was curious about others experiences.
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:49 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by yolanda
    i had a friend that would fly to mexico city to get all her procedures done because she thought highly of the doctors there. i have no personal experience. is there another way you can lose the weight? i have gained 10 lbs because i value my quilting time so much i have neglected excerise time ..... hey longarming has to be a workout, right? i was going to use that as a justification for buying one when i retire ;-) ...good luck with whatever you do and be safe!
    I don't think LAQ is considered a workout..LOL unless it is the strain on my eyeballs for focusing so much.
    Thanks!
    Old 05-25-2011, 12:54 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by KarenR
    My husband had lap band done. It is slow in coming off, and he had to go to a year of appointmnts before having it done and then about 1 year of monthly appointments followed by appointments every 6 month. He says he would do it again. He does have issues if he eats to fasts or talks while eating. As a spouse it's hard to wait the entire hour while he finishes his meal when we go out for our date nights (yes after 20+ years of marriage.)

BIL had gastric bypass - He's having a lot of trouble. Seems he is in the hospital alot after he had it. I do not know if it is related to the surgury or not.

Please do not rush into this.
    Maybe we can do something as a group on the QB that would help us lose weight.

Whenever I see your picture - I think your beautiful. If you ever want to do a QB weight loss- please ask me, no prizes except feeling good.

After seeing DAncing with with the STARS - Maybe I should start DANCING.
    Yeah...in Mexico they don't make you jump through the hoops of dieting and whatnot..as long as you pay the money they book the trip and perform the surgery.
    I know I wish I could book lessons with Macks for the summer and workout with dance lessons...my goodness Kirstie looks good! I live in a rural town..both of the gyms here don't offer fitness classes...aerobics or anything? I keep calling to see if someday they may add them..but not so far. SO I am pretty much on my own. although my family is supportive in one way..they don't want to eat healthy so I have to make two meals...so that is hard. double the work on everything.
    Old 05-25-2011, 01:31 PM

What about exercise videos? The Firm is really good. Walmart has some great 10 min videos.
    Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by charismah

Yeah...in Mexico they don't make you jump through the hoops of dieting and whatnot..as long as you pay the money they book the trip and perform the surgery.
    I know I wish I could book lessons with Macks for the summer and workout with dance lessons...my goodness Kirstie looks good! I live in a rural town..both of the gyms here don't offer fitness classes...aerobics or anything? I keep calling to see if someday they may add them..but not so far. SO I am pretty much on my own. although my family is supportive in one way..they don't want to eat healthy so I have to make two meals...so that is hard. double the work on everything.
    Good luck with your research. Sounds like you are approaching this the right way. I wish I could help, but I don't know anyone who has gone out of the country for procedures. I do know several people who get their medications from Mexico or Canada because they are cheaper and never had any issues.

A suggestion for the family not wanting to eat healthy. My DS has several food allergies and we have a Diabetic in the house. On top of that, the only "meat" I will eat eat is the occasional piece of chicken or in some instances turkey. Regardless, the rule is I cook one meal. Period. If you don't like it, that's fine. Make your own. You still have to sit at the table and eat together. It has reduced my stress over meals and in the end, everyone has decided it is usually easier to just eat what I fix! lol Even the kids can make their own, even if it is just a sandwich or bowl of cereal. They won't starve.

Best of luck with your adventure and your weight loss goals.
    Old 05-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Hope you're prepared for all the pm's you're gonna get. Everyone wants to lose weight easily, it just takes a long time and it's hard to stay focused. I've been saying, starting, praying to lose weight for the last 35 years. Saying this year will be the one I lose the weight, hmmm. Call me Oprah... without the $$