Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise >

need advise

need advise

Old 06-01-2011, 02:44 PM

Clair, I, too, wanted to try a serger. Didn't expect to use it except for crafty stuff and maybe some home dec. Searched on Craigslist until I found the right deal. It's an older machine and does not self thread. Only paid about $40 so not much lost if I never used it. By accident I was at a new-to-me LQS and they offered serger classes to anyone who wanted. $10/class - cheap at the price. Taught you how to thread the machine, make a pillowcase, etc. There were more advanced classes which I did not bother with as I wasn't planning to do garment or decorative sewing with it. Haven't really used it much but glad I have it. After the first class found out the tension was messed up on one of the threads and had it serviced for about $75. All in all I'm happy with my decision. I definitely would not buy a new one for the $$ involved for something I may never really use. For under $200 I have a decent machine, know the basics and can work my way through the rest of it...or go back to the shop and take some more classes. You definitely want a 4-thread machine. The greater the number of threads, the more fine the work you can do. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 PM

Clair,

I, too, was curious about a serger a couple of years ago. I had a couple of friends who use theirs all the time.

So, I bought a new Singer 4 thread machine for less than $200. at WalMart.

I learned how to thread it one my own, then took a class that showed different uses.

I used it fairly often, and enjoyed it. Then, I went to the Houston Quilt Show last November and stopped by the Babylock booth to see what was new. Big mistake! lol

They had a show special on the Imagine, a four-thread, self-threading machine that is a real beauty. (And they were offering 2 years interest free.) The rest is history.

I sold my Singer for $100.00. and I love, love, love my new machine. As a test, I used it to piece a Turning Twenty for my DD. It worked great, an accurate 1/4 inch, and is really fast.

I won't use it much for other piecing, but I use it for lots of other things.

Bottome line, like others have said, start out on the cheap to see if you'll use it. Then, if you like, trade up.

Have fun.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:49 AM
Swap Hosts

I never had one and for years thought - what the heck do you use it for? Well, I picked one up at an estate sale and now I'm wondering how I lived without it. Complicated? Yes! I have my son take care of changing thread.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 AM

I have had various sergers over the years and the most frustrating thing is the threading. If you're going to get one, get the Babylock with the jet air threading, it's worth the extra money.

I do a lot of quilting but don't use the serger for that as it adds too much thread in the seams.

Love my serger for everything else!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:45 AM

I have had a serger for years (Singer), and although I wouldn't get rid of it now, I wouldn't go out and buy one if I were you. The need for a serger is so very occasional, that you will go years without even getting it out. Pretty well everything you do with a serger, you can pretty much duplicate on a good sewing machine. Hope that helps!
Old 06-02-2011, 04:03 AM

i have one, have had one for 2 years now, have never used it, dont know how to use it, keep saying i need a class or instructions on how to use it, and there it sits!!! good luck with yours.....gina
Old 06-02-2011, 04:14 AM

I don't believe a serger is a machine you would use enough to
compensate for the price. I have read you really need a 'good'
serger. Cheap ones you will have a lot of probelms getting the tension right. You have to buy a lot of thread to sew on one.
I would put the money into buying a better machine for quilting/embroidery.(?)
I have been quilting for 40 years and have never thought I needed a serger.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:32 AM

I have a baby lock...got on line at the Walmart...about 199 a few years ago...haven't used it a great deal but I like it when I use it.
The good thing with walmart..you can return within 90 days.
Happy stitching.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

I was thinking of buying one last year. I looked at some and the sales person said they are great for sewing clothes. I thought about how many clothes I really make ...not many and decided to wait. A couple of months later a great deal came up on the Bernina 440QE and I spent my money on that instead. If you do a lot of garment sewing, I think you would like the new self threading ones.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:51 AM

I bought one years ago at Wal-Mart and it does
the trick for me. They are not used as much
as sewing machines, but are useful for certain
items. They can do more than just serge seams.