Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts >
  • This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

• This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chickerson
    This makes me so sad to see a closet full of love being sold at an Estate Sale. I'm guessing the family doesn't understand the love and time it took to make these memories. I'm going to try to get to the sale on Friday.
    I feel the same way. My husband and like to rescue them also. I think it is so sad and disrespectful, then on the other hand if they don't appreciate them at least maybe they will find a home to love them!!!!!!!!
    Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 AM

I hope that each of these quilts goes to a good and loving home. Maybe the family needs the funds from these quilts, so are sacrificing these to pay bills....maybe the owner/maker had huge medical bills and the sale of these will pay them...
    We don't know the reasons for selling them, but as long as they go to the right person...it will be OK.
    Old 06-23-2011, 07:23 AM

Good luck on buying at least one of them.
    Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    Originally Posted by wendy053
    It could be that they have closets full of other quilts that were made and gifted to them. Better to pass them on to those who will enjoy and cherish them than have them languish, unused and unseen.
    i agree, why would you assume the worst of people who decide to sell off some quilts,

they might have cherry picked items to keep and are now allowing others to enjoy her work.

i'm sure the grandmother would be thrilled to know that her quilts and stash financed the higher education of her grandchildren.

my point is don't think the worst of people you do not know their story and should not pass such harsh judgement against them.
    you're right. If you have ever had to deal with disposing of someones treasures you get a whole nother picture. You can only do so much. it could be breaking their hearts to have to sell their loved ones treasures.
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 AM

I did not post this to be harsh ladies. My plan is to go to the sale (if possible) and hopefully offer a few good homes. I appologize if I offended anyone.
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom
    Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    Originally Posted by wendy053
    It could be that they have closets full of other quilts that were made and gifted to them. Better to pass them on to those who will enjoy and cherish them than have them languish, unused and unseen.
    i agree, why would you assume the worst of people who decide to sell off some quilts,

they might have cherry picked items to keep and are now allowing others to enjoy her work.

So true!! ANd it never fails that there is another layer to the story that we'll never know.

i'm sure the grandmother would be thrilled to know that her quilts and stash financed the higher education of her grandchildren.

my point is don't think the worst of people you do not know their story and should not pass such harsh judgement against them.
    you're right. If you have ever had to deal with disposing of someones treasures you get a whole nother picture. You can only do so much. it could be breaking their hearts to have to sell their loved ones treasures.
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:58 AM
    Power Poster

If the owner didn't give them away but kept them in the closet then she should have known they would probably be disposed of some way if she/he died. Does your family know exactly what you want to happen with your treasures? Better make sure or they could be in this same situation.
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:58 AM

We are all so passionate about our quilting we sometimes forget that it is not everyone's cup of tea. There are individuals out there that don't want anything that could be construed as "old", not even people sometimes. To each his own. Life would be pretty boring if everyone felt exactly the same about everything.

mltquilt
    Old 06-23-2011, 09:14 AM

Better be there when the sale starts, and maybe wear chain mail. You surely won't be the only one to have spotted that stash! I wouldn't feel guilty or speculate too much about why they are being sold. Sometimes it's easier to sell things than to try to divide them up fairly among the heirs, and also, these may be just the ones left after they kept the best of the best.
    Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mltquilt
    We are all so passionate about our quilting we sometimes forget that it is not everyone's cup of tea. There are individuals out there that don't want anything that could be construed as "old", not even people sometimes. To each his own. Life would be pretty boring if everyone felt exactly the same about everything.

mltquilt
    For sure. I'd think with this prolific of a quilter, that maybe her best quilts were already taken by the family--at least all that wanted any.

Some people are really into minimalism and having/owning as little as possible. They don't want a whole closet of quilts or bedding.