Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter? >

June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter?

June Tailor rulers chewed up by rotary cutter?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

Cut away from you body as regular. Put the cutter blade in the tear drop opening at the top of it, bring the cutter blade back to the very beginning of the slot and then cut as normal. Less then a 1/2" altogether. Like backing a car up before you go straight.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM

I too have the same problems. With two different brands of slot rulers. However I absolutely adore my smaller square-up slotted ruler and use it all the time. Just managed to cut into that one the other day when I wasn't being careful enough. I have found out I have to always be extremely careful and pay close attention when using them.

Kat
Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 AM

I have 2 of her slotted mats and have no problem at all. You just have to use a rotary cutter straight up and down. You would use it that way with a regular ruler or else you won't get a perfect cut. They are meant to be used vertically, not at an angle. It shouldn't matter whether you are right or left handed. My olfa cutter lets you put the blade on either side of the cutter depending on whether you are a lefty or righty.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:30 AM

I just broke down and bought a accquilt go but I still use the slot ruler and have the same problems
Old 06-24-2011, 04:07 AM

I had problems with them at first, but now that I "get it" they are great. Sooo like everything else, keep practicing. My cutter is a martingayle, they are funnylooking but it helps my wrist.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:39 AM

I use this backing up thing with all my rulers. I position my rotary cutter blade about an 1/4th - 1/2 of an inch up from the bottom of the fabric, pull back towards me to the edge of the fabric and then zoom forward - right up the edge of the ruler. It keeps me from hitting and trying to trim off the very corner of the ruler.

BTW, I haven't had any trouble with my June Tailor slotted ruler. I love it.
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Cut away from you body as regular. Put the cutter blade in the tear drop opening at the top of it, bring the cutter blade back to the very beginning of the slot and then cut as normal. Less then a 1/2" altogether. Like backing a car up before you go straight.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:47 AM

Now I understand what you are saying - I will try it, once I get the blade-reversal done on the Olfa. I like using the slots as I can be more accurate on the long cuts, and I love the triangle one because it holds the fabric down on both sides of the cut.

Thank you very much for your help!

And for everyone else who has made suggestions about this. :) :) :) :)
Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I use this backing up thing with all my rulers. I position my rotary cutter blade about an 1/4th - 1/2 of an inch up from the bottom of the fabric, pull back towards me to the edge of the fabric and then zoom forward - right up the edge of the ruler. It keeps me from hitting and trying to trim off the very corner of the ruler.

Thank you both, this makes a lot of sense.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Originally Posted by dixiechunk

Thank you both, this makes a lot of sense.
All right, so I went to the June Tailor website and watched the video - she put the cutter in a little slanted and then carefully straightened it up and did something against the teardrop before swooping. AHAH!
And the kicker, TOTALLY - is that she was LEFT HANDED!!!and Using an Olfa with the blade reversed! I now feel like a total idiot because I had watched the video when I bought the first slot ruler :-D :-D :-D :-D
Put this in the "just shoot me" category.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:38 AM

I bought about 4 different kinds of them because I thought it was so wonderful but I, too, have trouble getting the cutter into the slot without taking taking a slice out of the ruler. I just keep trying.