Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
newbie question!!! >

newbie question!!!

newbie question!!!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I have to ask if you are using a rotary cutter? and are you folding your fabric in half....cutting 2 thicknesses at once? Most times when I am cutting strips, I will fold fabric down so I am cutting 4 at once....so much easier to work with and much faster done. And you are cutting from selvage to selvage, right?
Yes rotary cutter, and still sometimes slipping and cutting through the middle!!!
and 2 at once, if it were not flannel, I'd probably try to cut 4, but the flannel...giving me issues. thanks for the help!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 AM

Just a question? Are your finished squares supposed to be 2" or 1.5". If the finished square is supposed to be 2" you will not be able to get 6 squares out of 12 inch strip, as you have to allow for the 1/4 inch seam on each side of your square - you would need to cut your squares at 2.5 inches each.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:42 AM

Too late now, but next time you try a flannel quilt starch the fabric after you prewash it. I wouldn't try less than 3" squares with flannel--it's way too supple for tiny details.
As for strip cutting & piecing, are you using a rotary cutter? Is the blade sharp? Be firm with it. You are the boss. You want to cut it, not carress it.
Can't sew a straight seam? Are you using a 1/4" piecing foot? If you don't have one or can't get one, try an old trick. Place a piece of masking tape (or some opaque tape) on the bed of he machine to the right of the needle, front to back. Be sure the left edge of the tape is 1/4" from the needle. Now when you line up the edges of yur fabric with the edge of the tape you will get a 1/4" seam. Just slow down and keep the edges of fabric right next to the tape.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:48 AM

Oooh Peace by piece, thanks for the tips. the seams are straight for the most part. but I really hate the flannel. Still I'm getting the nine patches together, and once they are done its just a matter of cutting the frame blocks (which are nice and big!!!) and putting it together.
15 more blocks to make.
And no more flannel in my life. ever....I dont care how soft it is!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 AM

[quote=Barb44]
Originally Posted by mizunogirl
There is no way I can sew 2" squares together and not have half of them a little wonky.
I agree, if they're a thread off on each block, the whole quilt can end up being a 1/4" or more off at the end.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:34 AM

I don't know what pattern you're using, but this is the one I always use for my scrappy strip blocks: http://home.pmt.org/~awalter/string.html. They are addictive! Remember, when you're cutting the strips, watch your ruler; no matter how hard you try, it keeps moving a smidgen. Maybe you could try this pattern the next time?
Also, for baby quilts, I like cotton on top and flannel on back. That way, flannel is next to baby, but you get ease of working with cotton.
Good Luck!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
I do that a lot too as selvage to selvage can be cumbersome. I will usually just add a one inch buffer as I always find when strip piecing like this, my ends never quite line up perfectly, and have the extra material helps me square up the edges when I am done.

Good luck!! remember quilting has no rules, do what works for you.

Cheers!
rachel
I was going to suggest the buffer too. It's pretty hard to cut infinitisimally exactly, and so you might come up short at the end without a little extra.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 AM

I think in the end this quilt may end up as a toy for my dog!!! But I have learned a lot about Flannel, and gotten some excellent cutting tips.

I am only 6 blocks complete and I want to start the next quilt.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 AM

When doing strips, you sew one direction and as you add the next strip you sew the other direction.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:47 AM

Just remember when shortening your strips to allow for seam allowances - Hence, three 2" finished blocks would require a 7 ½" strip. (3 at 2½").