Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Spray Basting Questions >
  • Spray Basting Questions

• Spray Basting Questions

Old 06-26-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    Ditto the spray outside.
    I've tried that and always run into problems with the wind. You need someone else and some weights or the batt will stick to itself. If you have a nice clean basement space, that would work. Otherwise, be prepared for clean-up!
    Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 AM

I use my screened lanai (a Florida screened porch) a king sized sheet taped down, and use painters tape to hold down backing. I also use Fusiboo and Love it!! I only buy with 50% off Joanns coupon and save for most important projects (currently a Bargello wall hanging for sis & bil). For me temp adhesive spray or Fusiboo is the way to go.
    Old 06-26-2011, 05:00 AM

I use the basting spray, love it. i also will pin larger quilts just to make sure everything stays put between quilting at several sittings at my machine. I also use a huge sheet of plastic that i put under the quilt to catch the overspray. I try to do it outside, but in the winter, I will use my bed rather than the floors. Saves the back & knees & the dogs & cat can't walk all over it. They just have to see what's going on.
    Old 06-26-2011, 05:01 AM

I've used spray basting in the past, and laid out all my layers then fold back the batting and top and spray half, then press in place, and repeat with the other half....i've never had a problem spraying inside either. After you get the batting sprayed to the batting you do the same with the top and spray on the batting. It works great.
    Old 06-26-2011, 05:18 AM

1. Don't use poly batting. The spray will stick for a little while, then disappear. I always use either cotton or 80/20 cotton/poly.
    2. Layer your quilt (backing/batting/top). Fold back half of the top and lightly spray only on the batting. Bring the top back down and smooth out. Repeat for the other side of the top. To spray the backing you can either repeat these steps, folding back the batting and top, or flip the quilt, depending on the size.
    3. To keep overspray down, lightly spray the center first then go to the edges and direct your spray into the center as you spray from the edge to the area in the center you have already sprayed.
    4. Smooth the layers with your hands. On larger quilts I have found a yardstick works well. Just lay it over your quilt, tilt it on its side and sweep it from the center to the edges.
    5. I will generally start quilting by using my walking foot to sew along at least one border. This keeps everything stable and I can remove the stitching if I find my backing is too loose after I've quilted the center. However, my last quilt I took a big chance and quilted and bound the border first so I could cut away all that extra material and get enough room to quilt the middle. Here's the result.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-216872.jpe   attachment-216873.jpe  
    Old 06-26-2011, 05:23 AM

I have used the 505 basting spray for a number of years and even tho' I am asthmatic I have never had any problems with it. I use it on my quilting table and use an ordinary wipe clean cloth to get rid of any over-spray, not that there's much as I have got my technique right now.

I have used it on all types of batting and had no problems at all. BTW the other great thing about it is that you can iron out an wrinkles as you along, just a warm iron and it doesn't harm the poly batting at all. :thumbup:
    Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 AM

I use 505 it is the best no odor also. I have done up to a king size on my domestic machine using FMQ. I am not a gentle quilter and it stands up to my mistreatment. It washes out fine afterwards.
    I also stitch around the edge first and have had no trouble with creasing etc.
    Old 06-26-2011, 06:50 AM

I use the spray baste from Hancocks and have for several years. It holds very well, you need to use sparingly, but get a good cover. I don't spray all the way to the edge so I use pins on the edge until I machine baste it.
    Old 06-26-2011, 06:59 AM

With most of the sprays you need to shake the can for 2 minutes before using. I have tried not waitiing and it doesn't stick as well
    Old 06-26-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
    I personally would advise spraying it outside and make sure to spray it onto the batting as you need ventalation. AND you risk getting sticky residue on the floors, carpets, walls everywhere. It does hold through out the process. And yes it will wash out. Others will have better knowledge of using it. Just make sure you have lots of ventalation that stuff stinks. LOL. You can also do a search for basting spray lots of postings on it.
    If you have a clothesline, you can hang the batting from a clothesline, spray one side, then smooth it onto the back. Once that's done, pick up the back and the stuck-on batting and rehang it. Spray the other side and then smooth the top on. I've done it this way with a lap size quilt. A larger quilt might be more challenging with this method.