Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks >

I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

I am so ashamed of the way my sewing room looks

Old 06-30-2011, 02:55 PM

I just switched my sewing room into another room, long story, but before I did the switch, I had a horrible time keeping things up. I have pets so i always kept stuff up off the floor, but otherwise it looked a mess, even when I I had just cleaned it. The one thing I always tried to do is clean up after every project. I just had to. Otherwise there was no room to lay anything out. I am lucky to have a big desk that I multipurpose for sewing and sometimes cutting and I also have my computer and tv on it.

Since I have moved into the new room I have a bit more space, but I also made sure that everything has a place. Someday, when I get it finished I will post pictures. I have a lot more to put in here but for now, I like it slightly bare. I also got a new kitten and she spends a lot of time in here, so I have to keep things picked up or she will knock them all over. And some things in any sewing room can be dangerous for a cat so I pick up a lot. Especially if I am not going to be in there for a time. I can not afford any giant vet bills at the moment.

My desk has several drawers and I keep the top left one for rulers and essentials I use a lot, but also leave room so that I can scoops things into it to get them out of my way. Pattern pieces and scissors and tv remotes among other things get thrown in that drawer. I do have to clean it out frequently, but it helps to have a place to just stash things.

I hope you are feeling better soon and can enjoy the process of getting organized. I know not everybody enjoys it, but when I am down or not feeling well I do something silly, like cleaning out a drawer or just reorganizing a shelf, even cleaning out my purse. For some reason it recharges me and I feel better. No idea why, I wish I knew. I am just now getting over an upper respiratory infection, and it is taking a long time. It has made me depressed actually. I know it makes no sense, but just sitting in this room, that is cleaner then the rest of the house, makes me feel better. I may do nothing but play on Facebook, or chat with my sisters on the internet and watch tv, but I know my stuff is here and when I feel like it I can sew and make something beautiful. In fact I just this past week made a couple of dresses for my grand daughter and even though it took me three times longer then it should have, I felt like I accomplished something and I do feel better. Sorry to blather on, but really, keep your chin up and do a little every day on your sewing room and soon it will be the way you want it to be.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:07 PM

Just get better. Then we'll worry about tidying up.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:09 PM

First thing - get well, soon!!! Your craft needs you. Secondly, Roda, I gotta say, you sure made me smile - I wondered how you got pictures of my room!!!

Lastly - one trick I did on my last clean up was to just work in the room for a while and whenever I looked for something that I needed, and couldn't find - I made a note of where I looked first. That's the place it should be stored. Your first impression of the appropriate place will not change. So if you re-organize and set things up like that, it will be easier to replace them into the same place every time. Now, I'm not saying it's going to be neat all the time, and organized chaos IS organization after all. Oh, and I agree with hiding plastic bins under the table with a skirt - works wonders.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Google Goddess

show us your sewing room PatriceJ

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
mine looks a lot worse than that most of the time. :lol:
Old 06-30-2011, 03:21 PM

One thing that helped me was to "bundle" fabric into projects. When I was sorting my stash, I would find a fat quarter or two that went with some yardage I have and I would instantly think, "Oh log cabin" or "oh d9p." Write that pattern idea on a little sticky note, bundle up your fabric and tie it with a pretty ribbon or bow. A few bundles can sit on shelves and look pretty or make you think you're in a quilt shop. It gets some of your fabric out of tubs into a visual for you. When you need it, it's there, but in the mean time it's decor!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Google Goddess

great idea

also use baskets to store your projects in you are working on

Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings
One thing that helped me was to "bundle" fabric into projects. When I was sorting my stash, I would find a fat quarter or two that went with some yardage I have and I would instantly think, "Oh log cabin" or "oh d9p." Write that pattern idea on a little sticky note, bundle up your fabric and tie it with a pretty ribbon or bow. A few bundles can sit on shelves and look pretty or make you think you're in a quilt shop. It gets some of your fabric out of tubs into a visual for you. When you need it, it's there, but in the mean time it's decor!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:23 PM

Your surgery, yikes...............are you now in PT? I hope your comfortable and making good progress...........

I see some really nice tops.........I could take them off your hands, the crazy quilt, is that a dresden plate(?), and th circle one............hee hee..........only kidding but they are nice.

I too am a bit um, messy.,......too many books, project sheets of those things I want to make that I have printed off the internet............anyway, I purchased some large clear plastic storage bags from the $1.00 store. There are 2 to a box, and have handles.........allows me to see what is in them for example, a project. I have also started getting rid of some of my scraps...........the really little ones that are really too small for anything. Because I really probably will not get the snippits made. And like craftybear and others going verticle..........and the storage bins under a table. What about those under the bed storage bins (shallow) Or to acquire them after you return to work and get on your feet. So for now just plastic bags and labeling them for fabric not needed at the moment for a project. Also, some of my problem is that I am involved in to many things, sewing, beading, & cardmaking. Each craft requires supplies, and books...............I don't know how you feel however, I know how I feel overwhelmed........and trying to organize so I can keep my sewing room door open...........calla
Old 06-30-2011, 03:48 PM

Another great thing about going verticle as you can see by my mess is you want have to repaint
Old 06-30-2011, 03:58 PM

Don't discard the baskets though. Find another use for them.[/quote]
----------------------------------
Put a small quilt or a blanket in one of them. Dogs and cats especially love them for napping.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:10 PM

How your knee recovers rapidly! I am still recovering, but I know you will be great. Your room is great, don't worry about the sewing room. It will be fine also!