Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Making myself a "BIG BOARD"-are they easy to make or better to buy one made. >
  • Making myself a "BIG BOARD"-are they easy to make or better to buy one made.

• Making myself a "BIG BOARD"-are they easy to make or better to buy one made.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 AM

I made myself a very light weight one with a piece of particle board 2' x 4'. It is light enough that I have no problem lifting it, and it serves my purposes just fine
    Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 AM

Just cover a piece of thin insulation foam board with inexpensive white flannel. I just pulled the flannel to the
    back side and stapled. They come in big sheets at Menards or Lowes...very inexpensive. I covered 2 of the boards and sit them side by side.
    Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 AM

more more $$$$$$$ to buy one.

Hubby made me one. 24"x48"...paddings and cover.....and works wonders.
    Old 07-05-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Clara101
    My husband helped me make one. We went to Home Depot, I think, and had them cut a 8x4 foot piece of plywood into 2 24 inch by x60 inch pieces. Also they cut an 8 foot piece of 1" by 2" board into two 4 foot lengths. Get with a friend, because it makes 2. LOL We screwed the 1x2 inch pieces onto the bottom of the board after measuring the width of the ironing board. Got that quilted silvery batting stuff at JoAnn's (with a coupon) and cut it about 10 inches bigger than the board. Layed the fabric on the table, put the board on top, and used a staple gun to attach. I LOVE IT. I now can iron 24 inches of fabric instead of about 6. It took us about an hour to put the pieces together. I now have one at our "summer" place and one at our "winter" place. I strongly suggest a buddy to do this though. I think it would be hard to hold and staple by yourself.
    I did basicly the same thing. plus I got a couple of "c" clamps to hold it onto the ironing board. Have had mine for almost 10 years. love it. gave the other one to my stepmom.
    Old 07-05-2011, 05:50 AM

Easy peasy to make. Let me know if you need a pic of the back of one....
    Old 07-05-2011, 05:56 AM

Just so you know; Home Depot or Lowe's will cut the plywood for you usually for free. My husband added the small pieces to the bottom to fit over the ironing board to keep the big board from moving, but you could do this step yourself. I covered it using a heavy duty stapler found in the hardware store if you don't have one. I used one layer of batting, then a layer of canvas and a layer of cotton that can be replaced when worn out. Sharon Schambler has a video about covering an ironing surface which you may find helpful.

http://daystyledesigns.com/quiltingironingboard.htm
    Old 07-05-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by klc
    I also am in the midst of making one myself. I have bought the board ($8.00) and had it cut for free at lowes. I have my batting and I purchased flannel on sale at JoAnn's to cover it. Can't wait until it is finished. Anyway, if you can, I'd make it yourself. Good Luck!
    Are you putting FLANNEL on as the last fabric on your ironing board or is it part of the padding?

I would not advise flannel because it has soooo much give that when you iron/press it may move on you. I used a stiffer cloth similar to the ironing board covers.
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 AM

It is real simple. Take a 1/2 in piece of plywood. You measure down 60 in lgth & cut off the remaining 36 ins. Plywood is 4ft by 8ft. Take the 60 in piece & measure in half by width. It will measure 48 inches so you want half of that. Cut the board down the center so that you have a 24 in wide by 60 in long. Lay on floor & place your ironing board on top & mark around the top & down the sides, the shape of the board. This is where you place the framing strips. They will hold the top board to top of ironing board. Cover with thick layer of batting & heavy cloth & staple down with staple gun. I have exact instructions but can't put my hands on it right now. Found it the other day & printed it off but have miss placed it. Will see if I can find for you.
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
    If you can, you should make your own. I followed much the same method as soccertxi had on her blog. I did cover the plywood with tin foil before stapling on the batting, and had some heavy denim-like fabric that I used as the top cover. Works great and is removable if I want the tapered end of the ironing board.
    Just curious....what was the point of the tin foil????
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:53 AM

My husband and I made one to sit on my ironing board and I love it. It makes a great difference when you are pressing fabric after washing it.