Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help for Dog Ear Infections >

Help for Dog Ear Infections

Help for Dog Ear Infections

Old 07-16-2011, 07:56 PM

Hi SusiC,
I have a English Lab and have gone through the same exact thing with her. She had to go to the vets at least every two to three months and oh what that cost us, and the suffering she went through. I switched her from the regular food she was on, which was holistic, but contained grains. The important thing to tell you is that I started her on "grainless" food. She has not had one single ear infection since, and it has been a good two years.
There are several brands to choose from at your local pet store. Ours is Pet Depot or Petco. Also, your local farm feed stores will have them. Yes, they are higher priced, but they are far better quality and so much healthier. God didn't design your dog to eat grain.
I sure hope this helps your problem.
Gloryb
Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 PM

I just read the thread from "boysmomoflabs", and I agree with the brand of dog food "Taste of the Wild". It is the same food I feed our lab, and the infections are gone. Try it...it works!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:29 AM

You have some good suggestions here. I have 4 basset hounds-talk about ear flaps... Anyway, having the vet do a culture is a good idea as well as changing food and treats to grain free or at least a food that is wheat, corn and soy free. I use an ear wash called the "Blue Ear Cleaner" made up of 3 ingredients that works wonders. Let me know if you'd like the recipe. The ear cleaner worked wonders on my old boy Moosie Bear a rescue that came with horrible ear infections.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:13 AM

been there! when i had Newfoundlands around 10 yrs ago my male had a constant problem. After years of going to our local vet we finally ended up bringing him to Tufts which is a local teaching Animal Hospital. They totally cleaned out his ears (expensive visit) He still ended up always have a slight amount of gunk in his ears, but i am sure he felt a whole lots better! Its just one of those breed problems i think. :-( LOVE the dogs! They have the best personalities. I just wish it wasnt such a task to groom them.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

One of my grandpuppies is getting over ear issues. Allergies are suspected. The vet gave us some earwash and medicine and switched her food to potato and duck, which she loves. Her ears are very clean now. I'm not local so not sure if she had a culture, but she seems fine now.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:31 AM

I've been through ear infections with my cockapoo until I cultured the secretions, and it was a fungus.. I also try to clean his ears often, as it is extremely humid here.. Another thing you might try.. When the dog is sleeping, try to uncover his ears, and let the air circulate..
Barri
Old 07-17-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
I have a 160 lb Newfie that has had an ear infection in one ear for months now. After 3 trips to the Vet at 45.00 ea and over 350.00 in Rx antibiotics, it is doing nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions on other treatments for this? We are running out of funds to keep taking him back there.
As a Retired VET.Tech and Dog Groomer for a lot of yrs. Also owning poodles which have floppy ears and a LOT of hair growing inside the Ears..Ear Problems come with the Dog.. After going to the vet. and still haveing the problems, a friend who showed poodles all over the US told me to check this way.. and it works.. Make sure Dog doesn't have ear mites.. Use a qtip swab inside of ear canal and You can actually see them tiny little things..If you need to get a magnifying class to see them really good..Nada for mites then Usually it is ear canker,can get really smelly and bad.. Remedy to keep PH balance right..Equal amounts of White Vinegar and Alcohol. Keep in a small squeeze bottle.. Squirt into ear, massage with your thumb and pointer finger,clean with cotton balls. Repeat and then Once a week clean with the mixture. I haven't had a dog to the vet for ear problems since i started doing this .. Believe me Poodles from the largest to the smallest has a lot of hair inside their ears.. Good luck... BillsBonBon
Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
I have a cocker/lab mix. But she does have the cocker floppy ears. She was getting ear infections constantly too! And yes those vet bills add up. She was actually diagnosed with chronic ear infections. We were told that more than likely they would just keep reoccurring regardless of what we do. It is just part of the breed and just continue with prescriptions.
But what I did find that helped our dog was taking her to the groomers about every 8 weeks. I told our groomer that she had an ear infection so to watch that ear so it didn't get any more water in it. After I mentioned the ear infections she started to clean her ears really well. She would also shave the inside of her ears as well as giving them some sort of vinegar cleanse or something. Not really totally sure what all she does but I know that her ear infections have dramatically cleared up and now only gets them about once a year or so.
She probably used the Equal amounts of Vinegar and Alcohol. To clean and keep Ph balance inside the ears..Good groomer you have there.Cockers have HAIRY Ears I allways, with the owners permission shaved inside of cocker ears still had the outside hair and it thinned it alot so some air could get to the inside. Retired Groomer that I am.. :wink: BillsBonBon
Old 07-17-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by blondeslave
You have some good suggestions here. I have 4 basset hounds-talk about ear flaps... Anyway, having the vet do a culture is a good idea as well as changing food and treats to grain free or at least a food that is wheat, corn and soy free. I use an ear wash called the "Blue Ear Cleaner" made up of 3 ingredients that works wonders. Let me know if you'd like the recipe. The ear cleaner worked wonders on my old boy Moosie Bear a rescue that came with horrible ear infections.
Does this have gentian violet in it? A number of years ago we had an English Mastiff that had issues with her ears and I found a cure on Earthclinic.com that had gentian violet in it and it worked wonders.

www.earthclinic.com is an excellent site in general and has tons of info for pets and their problems too.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 AM

Go to another vet if he hasn't helped your dog.
IdahoSandy