Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dog With Bladder Infections >

Dog With Bladder Infections

Dog With Bladder Infections

Old 06-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

My Bulldog Noel has another bladder infection, this one is pretty bad, she had blood in her urine, and just overall not a happy girl, poor thing.
She has gotten these over and over again since she was a teeny puppy, once she turned a year, they stopped, now to return at about two.
Any tips on keeping her healthy? The vet gave her antibotics and a culture test they are running, so we should know more in a few days.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 AM

My male would get bladder infections. I switched to a high quality food. And to encourage drinking lots of water my vet suggested salting his food, I do, he drinks. And I also put cranberry juice in his water. We haven't had a problem in years (knock on wood)... Just a thought
Old 06-08-2011, 11:57 AM

I used to put a touch of vinegar in my Dobermans' water, but the cats are hard to get drinking it. so am starting slowly. Very slowly.

Long ago fur babies used to pee in the sink so I would see the blood in their urine, the only time they ever did such a thing. The poor dears were hurting and let me know, so off to the vet we would go, with angry and screaming beasties in the back seat!

Then I listened to the old vet and started putting a tiny touch of vinegar in their water, don't remember any more kidney infections. In fact, I use vinegar in salad dressings a lot.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:21 PM

For nearly a year, our dog was notorious for getting bladder infections as soon as the antibiotics wore off. Every antibiotic was tried including sulfur medications. It didn't help that every time we took her in....different vet saw her and everyone had their own medication that they wanted to try. Finally the vet we preferred saw her again, isolated a clean specimen (by inserting a needle directly into her bladder) and somehow was able to culture it and determine through process of elimination (on the culture) which antibiotic was the best suited to get rid of the infection. Naturally it was the most expensive antibiotic which cost about $250 or more. Then our dog was put on Science Diet C/D food to make her urine more acidic. After that...no more infections. She continued this food for 9 years until she was too old (16 years old) and was put to rest last November.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 PM

CarrieAnne, awww, poor Noel. A long time ago we had a dog (puppy) that had a bladder infection. The vet treated it with antibiotics. I was wondering if apple cider vinegar would help when I read your post and then I read what Ramona posted for you. I hope Noel is feeling better soon. The only thing I’d be careful of with the vinegar is if your dog get’s yeast ear infections the vinegar can make them worse.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the tips everyone. She is looking a bit spunkier today....yesterday the poor thing only got off the couch when I forced her to go outside, lol! I think the antibotics must be working!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:22 PM

Oh, CA, so sorry she is sick. I will pray she feels better soon.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 PM

Hope the antibiotic takes care of it and she feels better!!