Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Felt Very Judged:  Quilt tops vs Finished quilts >

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

Old 07-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

Why do people think they know it all or have to make judgements on other people's work, especially without being invited to. You said this is your creative outlet, and it gives you pleasure. Good for you. Life is too short to worry about what other people think. Carry on!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:14 PM

There are lots of people who consider themselves "toppers". Meaning they like to make tops and not quilt them. Who cares as long as someone is having fun? I don't get why she was judging you. By the same token, there are those who don't care to piece and enjoy the quilting process more. Those folks like to buy tops and quilt them up.

Shake off the negative vibes this lady threw you and move on!!
Old 07-16-2011, 04:14 PM

I have several friends who consider themselves to be "Toppers". They love the process of making the tops.

I certainly would not worry about what someone who was visiting your garage sale thought. She may have had the same reaction if you told her you were having T-bone steaks for dinner.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I am so sick of people judging other people!!! Life is just too short, enjoy yourself and she can go judge someone else...
Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 PM

I probably would of said oh my someone's bad manners are showing or perhaps you are having a bad day and just need a hug I am sure her jaw would of dropped
Old 07-16-2011, 05:02 PM

How sad for her that her world is so small. Looks like everyone here knows we live in a GIANT world where there is room for all.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:07 PM

Well, you did all the work and are proud of it. Until you get them quilted, you are displaying them, right? Why let all your creativity sit in a plastic tub or pillowcase somewhere not to be enjoyed? Love your idea. Brush it off, have a bowl of ice cream or glass of wine, sit back and enjoy your work that surrounds you. Maybe she was jealous, or merely thinking 'why didn't I think of that?' Just picture her going home and taking out all her quilt tops and hanging them on her walls too. You may have started a trend. I think it is a great idea! (I too had life get in the way, 3 kids, full time job, colleges, weddings, grandkids. Now back into it and I wish I had more quilt tops to display.) You Go Girl!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:10 PM

I would rather do just about anything than quilt a big quilt. The shear agony of getting it through my machine was just stressful even thinking about it. I am soo greatful there are people who like to do quilting. I am a Piecer ... and proud of it!
Display your tops they are works of art ! anyone who would judge what hangs in anothers house is well ... not worth a second thought. Other things come to mind but ... I am keeping this comment restrained.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:16 PM

I went to a quilt show ages ago that had a special exhibit called "She's the Tops!"- it was all quilt tops that one woman had made and they were all quite beautiful.

I made a watercolor wallhanging top fourteen years ago, that's been sitting in a box for fourteen years because I haven't been able to figure out how to finish it. I've thought of posting a picture on here and asking for suggestions, in the meantime maybe I should hang it on the wall... : )
Old 07-16-2011, 05:21 PM

Would really love to see your beautiful tops.......... For sure!!!!!!!!!!Please post them???!!