Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guild Question #2 >

Quilt Guild Question #2

Quilt Guild Question #2

Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 PM

I was lucky to find a guild that is what I wanted to find. I needed to find friends too. I moved to this area with just my husband and no friends. good luck to you.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by DebQuilter50
So, my first questions generated lots of conversation - and many did not have great experiences.

My question #2 is this: If a quilt guild is not for you/me where do you meet quilting friends?

I want to find someone who is totally crazy about quilting and fabric like I am. I love the people on this board, but I want someone to talk to and shop with, etc.

I do not want something with cliques, that is political, etc. I guess I just want a quilting friend.
Have you checked out a local church? Some of the churches here have quilting groups. Perhaps taking just one class at a LQS will present you with a quilting friend that lives close to you. Hope you find one very soon.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 PM

I am so blessed to share my quilting love with my mother.. However I have meet some new and a few old classmates whom I had lost touch with through the local store... or at the quilt show in sisters.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 PM

I am so blessed to share my quilting love with my mother.. However I have meet some new and a few old classmates whom I had lost touch with through the local store... or at the quilt show in sisters.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the local quilt shop is a great place to meet fellow quilters- if you could sign up for a class or two at the lqs you will be able to start connecting- there may be a local sewing/quilting group you could meet with regularly-
not everyone is able to join guilds...but little sewing groups are all around
My local quilt shop also occassionally schedules a time for quilters to come together to finish unfinished projects. If you have a quilt shop and they don't have something like this maybe suggest it. It too would be a good was to meet others and have some schedule time to work on your project.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM

I have a small group of neighbors that get together every other week to sew. No business meetings, we just talk while we work. I found them as I have been finding people in my town around me that quilt.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 AM

Small quilt groups or sewing circles are what I have found the best!!
One of my closest friends is like the friend you want :) and I met her at the local quilt group.
I have since moved interstate (Australia) and have joined a v small quilt group but haVE already met a wonderful lady to shop with etc
I was in a Guild but found it was to cliquey
Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 AM

Your local...GOOD quilt store.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 AM

I went to a few classes - even though I could do the projects quite well,I always believe I can pick up new ideas and acquaintances.I got on so well with the people that they asked me to join their group.They love sharing ideas and do not get 'precious' with other people.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
My group meets once a month, and we rotate hostessing duties at our homes. Three years ago, I contacted a vendor because I was interested in purchasing a quilting frame, and she invited me into this group so I could see various machines and frames in action. Since then, I've become friends with all of them and we have a blast! EVERYTHING is voluntary - nobody keeps track of who hosted the last meeting or how many charity quilts you've made. We invite whomever we want and there are no "presidents" or "treasurers". We go to quilt shows together and have a retreat once a year. It is a HOOT.
Sounds ideal.
:thumbup: :thumbup: