LAND Lines

Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Jim

we have never had a land line installed here...we built this house 7 yrs ago...we do however have Vonage thru our computer. I am thinking about getting rid of it as well. We both have cell phones. Our security system rings into our cell phones and our broadband comes thru our cable
Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mellina
I need my land-line for faxing paperwork. Otherwise I use the cell phone.
Yup. This is why we have a land line.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TanyaL
I would love to get Vonage but they don't have service in the rural areas of Texas.
Does your cable company have some other version of it? Ours does. That's just if you have cable though

:-)
Old 08-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Well, I guess I'm the oldest cheapskate here as I haven't had a land line for over TEN years! LOL! :-D

Jan in VA
Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM

I wouldn't get rid of my land line. In a medical emergency, it's pretty hard to think of your home address (my Dad just passed away, so I know pretty well what happens to your thinking when you discover your loved one not breathing). A land line address automatically shows up to the 911 operator. In addition, in nearly every major weather event in my area, the cell phones go down, while the land lines continue to work.

I TOTALLY understand having cell phone only if you live in an apartment, move frequently, have no kids or parents with medical problems. It's perfect for young people who have no kids. It's also maybe good for someone who is mobility impaired.

But think seriously before you do abandon your land line. I can no longer babysit for my one cousin as I do not have a cell phone that I carry with me and they have no land line. My BIL hardly ever speaks to his one daughter any longer because he can't understand her over her cell phone. They aren't as crystal clear as people like to think when you have hearing difficulties.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Still have Land Line...In area with very low cell access...if you catch a cell and move you lose it...And if we lose electricity then mobile phones don't work. Also I have a prepaid cell phone and it's only for emergenices on the Rd otherwise I never turn it on or use it.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:28 AM

I haven't had a land line in over 5 yrs. I don't miss it.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:31 AM

we transfer the house number to a cell phone. No I don't miss it. Didn't have it for years. Then the cable company came out with this bundle package, that came with a land line. So we bought a phone for it. Never used it and the only time it rang was the cable company... trying to sell us something else (once a month!) Got sick of them calling, just had no use for it so after 6 months, ditched it, and their "bundle" package. Basically they said I HAD to have the phone if I was going to have Internet and TV... so.... I ditched the TV too LOL! now we just use netflix.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

in our area cell service is always iffy...AND it is not connected to 911..meaning if you call 911 from your cell they can not track you down, on the land line they can!
This is Ok..high winds, tornadoes, etc all effect the cell service..and the power...no electricity, NO cell phone once it dies...so yep..keeping the land line no matter!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:49 PM

Our landline is incoming calls only. It is capable of outgoing calls in an emergency, but even local calls charge you. We use cell phones for all outgoing calls and use the landline number to give to businesses and such. It works well for us and costs only $12 a month.