cat harness

Old 08-13-2011, 05:40 PM

LGC: How cool. Thank you. For that small price it would be easier to just order it. I think I will do that. Thanks so much for your helpfulness!

:thumbup:
Old 08-13-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by sewellie
Does anyone know of a pattern that I could use on my cat as a harness. There is something called thundershirt.com where you can purchase one, but it's for a dog and I would like to make one for my cat when we take her camping. It would be made out of a lightweight fabric like flannel or something to that effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It isn't that she's afraid of thunder, it's because I don't want her to wander off when we're camping. My neighbor and I watch each other's animals while we're away and she was taking care of mine the last time (1 month ago) we went camping. Someone came on our property and shot her in the head with a pellet gun. Shattered her jaw on the right side, broke the bottom jaw and lodged in her neck. She is doing very well right now, but I just can't risk letting her roam around this neighborhood anymore. She somehow got through the cat door and went to our bedroom where my neighbor found her laying in a pool of blood and picked her up and took her to the kindest vet in the world.
So you see why I need to find something. I tried a dog harness but she slips out of it. I would like to attach it with velcroe so I could adjust it to her size.
Thanks for listening.
How horrible, thank God your neighbor found her in time. Thank God for the Vet also. I hope she is out of Danger.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

http://www.hdw-inc.com/walkingjackets.htm
my cat wears a harness I bought. she is a Houdini getting out of it if i let her turn to face me. she just backs up quickly. so i never let her do that but she does take some watching. I hope you find something that will work.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-241425.jpe  
Old 08-13-2011, 06:52 PM

Remember fabric has some give in it and a cat can wiggle out of most anything. I would purchase a small dog one and put it on snugly. I have one I use and just wouldn't feel comfortable with a home made one, especially far from home.
And I would probably microchip my pet also.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:36 PM

Check out the cat harnes at Petco I have used them for years, and they work great. They are made of somthing that feals like nylon cord and very adjustable, I start out my kittens with one as early as possable and take them for walks every day untill they get used to them as they get older you just adjust the slides. it is a harness and leash in one.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Does anyone know of a pattern that I could use on my cat as a harness. There is something called thundershirt.com where you can purchase one, but it's for a dog and I would like to make one for my cat when we take her camping. It would be made out of a lightweight fabric like flannel or something to that effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It isn't that she's afraid of thunder, it's because I don't want her to wander off when we're camping. My neighbor and I watch each other's animals while we're away and she was taking care of mine the last time (1 month ago) we went camping. Someone came on our property and shot her in the head with a pellet gun. Shattered her jaw on the right side, broke the bottom jaw and lodged in her neck. She is doing very well right now, but I just can't risk letting her roam around this neighborhood anymore. She somehow got through the cat door and went to our bedroom where my neighbor found her laying in a pool of blood and picked her up and took her to the kindest vet in the world.
So you see why I need to find something. I tried a dog harness but she slips out of it. I would like to attach it with velcroe so I could adjust it to her size.
Thanks for listening.
There is no punishment cruel enough for entities like that.
ditto
Old 08-14-2011, 05:16 AM

You can buy a cat harness or look at one for pattern suggestions. In our experience, they don't always work. One cat laid flat on the floor when it was on and couldn't be budged. Another of our cats was very determined and could back his way right out of it, no matter how tight or well fitting.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:40 AM

We use these (same but cheaper!):

http://www.metpet.com/shopsite_sc/st...ingjacket.html

They *can* back out so you do have to pay a bit of attention not to be directly ahead.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:50 AM

I am so sorry your sweet kitty was hurt! I hope you can find whoever did it and they get punished and helped. And I am happy to know that your kitty is on the mend. I hope you can find a harness for her.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 AM

Just go to the pet store and buy a harness with a leash. I have a harness and leash for my cat, since she is deaf and older.

Here is an example: http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom...ductId=3951263