Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! How do you get the skunk smell out of the cutting mats?? >

Help! How do you get the skunk smell out of the cutting mats??

Help! How do you get the skunk smell out of the cutting mats??

Old 08-27-2011, 06:14 PM

Don't be surprised if you can't remove the smell. Synthetic materials will continue to offgas for some time after manufacturing, and sealing them up in plastic just prolongs the stink. It's the same as new car smell, new shoe smell, new carpet smell, etc.

It will dissipate over time, however. Eventually it won't smell anymore. But exchanging it for a newer mat won't help--you'll just start the process all over again.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:28 PM

I know for dogs who get hit by a skunk they recommend tomato juice. Sounds weird, but maybe worth a try!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 PM

How to de-skunk a dog: http://www.kountrylife.com/content/how157.htm
This really does work on dogs and is safe for Berber carpet and velveteen upholstery. Ask me how I know.

As for your mat - what you are smelling is the manufacturing residue. Get some good degreaser like 409, Fantastic or Greased Lightening. I used 409. Put your mat in the bathtub and spray the whole thing, front and back, with the degreaser and let it soak for about 2 minutes. Use a soft cloth to lightly scrub the mat and the hottest water you can stand to rinse it off. Rinse for a few minutes to get all the residue off, dry with a clean soft cloth. The smell should be gone.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gladys
I've put it in the sun, over an air conditioner vent (stunk up whole house!) sprayed the back with Febreeze and even put fabric dryer softener sheets with it sealed in a black gargage bag.

It's been 6 mos now and it still has an odor. I really need to be able to use it now that I know how!!

I'm sensitive to odors and have to leave church sometimes because of strong perfumes but this green cutting mat is going to be the death of me!!!

It's one of the large Olfa ones. Granted the smell is not as strong as it was at first but I can still smell it.
Thanks for any help from anyone.
**If there's anything to to do w/skunks in WI we use tomatoe juice rubbed & soaked in, good luck:)
Old 08-28-2011, 02:55 AM

Get a bag of clay kitty litter, open it, and put it (still in its paper bag) in the bottom of a plastic garbage bag. Set the mat on top and close the bag securely. Leave for at least two weeks. It should come out OK. If not, time to throw it away and get a new one.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:30 AM

I had a 24 x 36 " Fiskars with the same problem. After a call to the company they immediately sent a replacement at no cost.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:43 AM

I just got one and was wondering how to get rid of the smell. I thought my husband had run over a skunk before he picked me up at the LQS. Thanks for the ideas on how to get rid of this smell!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:45 AM

Try wiping with lemon juice. That removes most smells quickly. Or, if it is truly skunk, use tomato juice. If all else fails, wet it and use table salt. A lot of salt. Rub the salt all around and rinse. Salt is a cure for all smells. I even use it in the same manner to clean my wooden chopping boards. Gets rid of onion smell and fish!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:50 AM

Apple cider vinegar works great on so many things, worth a try. Let us know your results...
Old 08-28-2011, 03:54 AM

Have you thought of something like Oust or Fabreeze? Don't know if it works but worth a try. An odor eliminator for sneakers? Just thinking. Good luck!