dog's hot spots.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:56 PM

Have to give our dog tranquilizers from the vet.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Benadryl liquid or caplet works for my dog. Vet said give her 1/4 to 1/2 teap or 1/2 caplet. Helps her not be so scared during a storm, help the itching. Hydro=cortisonce cream work good for hot spots, cools it down.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:42 AM

While I agree on asking a vet first, a lot of times the vet like any other doctor has no clue. I like the ones who actually say so instead of being officious and just keep doing tests. After a test to see if its mange And allergy tests there isn't much else they can do.

If it is stress there are a few natural products that work without making your dog sleep all the time. Allergies, its usually, 1.fleas, or 2. food get rid of grains, sometimes grass. While I am not a vet or vet tech after taking care of foster dogs, most from a shelter or puppy mill/backyard breeders/dumpers, I have seen pretty much every skin and behaviour problem out there. There are websites that are strictly natural products, I do not however buy the products they advertise,mostly because if its for pets they jack up the price, with a little research you can find the ingredients and figure out what works for your dog.

Example. My DD's female dog is having incontinence, Nothing wrong except old age. Found out about the side effects of the pills and surgery. Ah no thanks! found a homeopathic for dogs did some checking and found the one for people same basic ingredients and half the price and its working great. No more puddles at night.

Thunder shirts, Anxiety wraps, DAP, Rescue Remedy. While nothing works for every dog just like nothing works for every person, I try the natural products after getting a diagnose.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 AM

I know its messy buy vaseline and powdered sulphur mixed together into a paste clears up hot spots quickly
Old 09-16-2011, 05:46 AM

I swear by the thundershirts, but think there is a spray from the vets that will help also. Pets are very sensitive to our feelings, hope something works! Sharyn
Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 AM

I don't know what to think of this diagnosis but I wasn't there. DH took Buddy to the vet's. The vet said he has a bad ear infection, and was scratching at his ear with his paw and opened the skin near his ear. He is under sedation getting the hair trimmed out of his ears, a deep cleansing, and a steroid shot, and will come home with meds and a bell collar. The vet feels that Buddy will wear the collar less than 5 days and he'll be all better. I just gave him a bath Sunday with oatmeal shampoo the vet recommended and cleaned his ears.
To be continued . . .
Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 AM

For any dog that is nervous with storms/thunder, I strongly recommend a thundershirt. Mindy used to run thru the house whining and shaking. We would have to chase her down and hold onto her, give her Rescue Remedy, try to calm her. One day I took out some heavy, slightly stretchy material I had and made her a thundershirt. THe next storm we had I grabbed her and put it on her. AMAZING DIFFERENCE. She calmed right down, laid on the bed and went to sleep.

Now when we get a storm, she just goes right to my dh and wants her shirt. I didn't have much a pattern, just sort of copied it off of her raincoat, make it fit around her, and secure it with velcro, making sure that it was snug, but not too tight. You can google a photo of them.

THey are not that expensive, but worth the money to buy. Bless the person who thought them up.

As for the hot spots, I have a product called K9 Klear Up. I have used it on Taffy when she was bitten by something and chewed at it until she has it raw. It went down and cleared up by the next day. I used it on myself when I got a bad fire ant bite. She rubbed her nose on her crate and got a cut. Used it on that and it was fine the next day. Great stuff, not cheap, but we use it on all of them, and a tiny bit goes a long way. Ask your vet about that, too.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by jbud2
What to do?!!? A month ago when the first spot emerged on our dog's face, a tea oil/ ale vera/ chamomile spray from the pet shop worked. The spot went away. This week it's back and worse. I think it's the storms we've had and the tensions my husband and I were under to cope with all that rain. (not much compared to others but this was a lot for us.) Last night when came home thru a horrible lightening show, our dog was half under the bed and he had pawed and the spots open again. I think it's his nerves! He has an appointment at the vet's on Friday. Anyone else have this problem and what have you done?
Our dog had hot spots - turned out to be Thrush - very uncomfortable. We took her to the vet right away and she was on meds and ointments. Her hair fell out where the hot spots were.. God love her, she died of old age, 14 years, after the whole summer of being miserable. Now, this was ten years ago and perhaps they have come up with ointments and stuff that will take care of whatever your dog has. I sure hope so, because I don't think Bridget was very comfortable at that time. The bugs used to fly on her and land where the spots were. We kept her covered up when she would be outside. That helped an awful lot. Edie
Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jbud2
I don't know what to think of this diagnosis but I wasn't there. DH took Buddy to the vet's. The vet said he has a bad ear infection, and was scratching at his ear with his paw and opened the skin near his ear. He is under sedation getting the hair trimmed out of his ears, a deep cleansing, and a steroid shot, and will come home with meds and a bell collar. The vet feels that Buddy will wear the collar less than 5 days and he'll be all better. I just gave him a bath Sunday with oatmeal shampoo the vet recommended and cleaned his ears.
To be continued . . .
Oh, my. Please keep us updated on Buddy's progress!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM

We used to have Brittany that got hot spots on his feet. There is a sour apple spray made for this and the dogs don't like how it tastes so they learn to leave the spots alone. Its all natural and not harmful at all, they sell it at petsmart.