Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fleece makes great backing...REALLY? >

fleece makes great backing...REALLY?

fleece makes great backing...REALLY?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 AM

From my professional long arm, when I was making the OSU quilt. I put in 80/20 batting and grey fleece (on sale at Jo Ann's) and she said that it would work beautifully because she had been doing it for a number of quilters in our area. She said wears well and washes well. We put the quilt on the bed when the cold snap came a few weeks ago and it was wonderful. It is heavier in total but once on the bed, it was snuggly warm. And the long-arm quilting on the back is beautiful. Then I made a baby quilt with a patterned block fleece (in all the pastel baby colors) backing and hand quilted it and it turned out beautifully also.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 AM

I use batting and fleece for backing, very warm, but I hand quilt so can't help with the FMQ question.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Demshine
I thought it would stretch too much
Are you able to free motion quilt with it as a backing?
Use it with or without batting?
:roll:
I was told by a LA quilter that the stretch has to go side to side not up and down. But it's suppose to be great
Old 10-09-2011, 04:35 AM

I absolutely love fleece blankets but two things you need to keep in mind. 1) it is made from plastic and melts if near a flame and 2) it does not breathe, which can cause sweating and chilling if the child is bundled too tightly.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 AM

I make lots using polar fleece no batting,no problems.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:54 AM

Fleece is great on kid quilts. I especially try to use it as a backing (no batting) when I make quilts for kids in need. I figure the extra cuddliness can only be a plus.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by sushi
While I've not used it as backing, I've used fleece as batting a couple of times when I've needed to produce an ultra-warm quilt. It's worked beautifully.

While some think fleece is too expensive to use as batting, remember that because it's encased between the top and the backing, you can use the cheapest stuff available. (I have a "Mill End Textiles" near me where I bought a remnant at ~$3/yd.)
that's actually a good idea and you can always pick it up cheap when Joann's has its sales - I think the anti-pill fleece is the cheapest. I think with a coupon, it's still cheaper than batting.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
I lovve to use fleece as the backing fabric. Works great and stay put when you quilt. I also use it as batting!
What a great idea. Can't wait to try it -- especially on the smaller quilts for my grandchildren.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:04 AM

I think it works great!!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
I use fleece for backing a lot of quick quilts and those that will be overused and washed a million times because it doesn't need a lot of quilting! I make the top, put the top and fleece back together (no batting needed) and then sew a few lines both vertically and horizontally. DONE!!!! and yes, it holds up fine. I have one that I use and wash constantly that has to be at least 12 years old and the only problem it has is that the edges are starting to look a little worn in spots....
Time to rehabilitate it with some new binding!!!

Another bonus of using fleece .... the extra width!