Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New idea.To me anyway >

New idea.To me anyway

New idea.To me anyway

Old 02-10-2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by nena View Post
My sister loves scrappy quilts. She took scraps left over from all the quilts she has made and made a quilt just with those scraps.
I decided to save mine and make a 12in square out of the scraps in the same pattern as the quilt. Like I made a sail boat, rail fence etc. Just made an extra square with every quilt I make and then make a quilt out of all of them. Has anyone ever done this before?
Great idea. You'll always have a reminder of quilts you've done.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:03 AM

with extra blocks from a quilt I make placemates also. But the extra quilt block quilts are nice.

Last edited by Grace MooreLinker; 02-10-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: spellng
Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM

I use my scraps to make not just scrappy quilts but also rag quilts.

For scrappy I just sew everything together and than square it off to how big I want it to be.

For rag quilts I'll sew squares, retangle, strips and such together than cut them into rag squares or rectangles, stars, hearts, flowers, etc and create one of a kind rag quilt. I have one right now that I had purchased fabrics purposely to experiment with using five or six different ones and cutting some of it into 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 3 1/4 inch strips sewing them together and than cutting it into a rag square. I'm mixing these up with sized squares of various colors I used to intermix them in the lap quilt. For the back I'm using an explosive colored material for back rag square so they will all be the same.

My next step is to sew each rag block in free motion quilting instead of doing the traditional X across it, then I will sew it all together.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:08 AM

I just used a bunch of extra rail fence squares with scraps to make a quilt for my Dad...
Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 AM

Sounds like a neat idea to me.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:34 AM

I LOVEEE your idea. Oh I wish I had thought of that when I first started making quilts. It's not too late to start tho! Thanks for sharing such creativity!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 PM

I have one started from scraps. If I actually worked at it I would have it finished by now but it is NOT on the top of my "to do" list!!!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by june6995 View Post
I have been making scrappy quilts for quite a while. I make quilts for charities and some of the prettiest ones are made with scraps. They have an old fashioned charm about them. I save all my left-over fabrics, and put them in a box. I have friends who bring me scrap fabric from their sewing projects and I also get scraps from Freecycle, so I have scrap
quilts in progress almost all the time. Making 30 or more quilts a year can be expensive, but with the help of those who like to see things used, rather than tossed in the trash, I can make more quilts to keep people warm.
Scrap quilts take us "back" to a time when we had little and even scraps had value. Originally quilters did not have a lot of money to spend on supplies, thus the stories about them using newspapers inside their quilts, as well as people's clothing. I recall people using the phrase "waste not, want no!" more ofthen when I was a child, than they do now. We have had abundance for so long, but now people are beginning to return to their more frugal ways. Quilts do not need to cost large amounts of money.

June in Cincinnati
Amen to that June. It is good to meet someone who seems to be as frugal as I am.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 PM

since moving here i am starting to collect things up again. so whenever i do make triangles for squares i also sew the small points i have left into squares and leave them on the vine after assenmbly sewing them together. later will use them for a mini . i like your idea of actually having a finshed block though instead of waiting till later. good idea
Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Banned

we do it in my guild all the time...ODD, orphaned, test blocks, etc..folks bring them in and when we get 12 we put together a top for charity! It is great fun!