Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Very Sad Cat - Any Suggestions? >

Very Sad Cat - Any Suggestions?

Very Sad Cat - Any Suggestions?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 AM

Just time like anyone else grieving. I know when I had to put my Hobo kitty to sleep my daughters dog looked everywhere for him it was pretty sad to watch. They were best buds from the time they were little . When Hobo decided he would rather stay outside they use to lay on the back lawn together.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 AM

I agree--he just doesn't understand and will adjust in time. Just like us. Extra loving is always a good thing.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 AM

A cat's ability to reason isn't there. Their life consists of eating, sleeping, grooming, and playing with their friends, if there are other critters in the house. When one goes, and there are only two, the other grieves. They have a lot of the same emotions we do, but don't know what to do about them. Our cocker spaniel looked everywhere for the cat after it died. She looked in cupboards, closets, under the beds, on the beds... everywhere that the cat had been. She looked so sad... So we got a kitten in a few months. The kitten looked just like the other, only on a much smaller scale. She bonded with that cat immediately. Last summer, that cat became ill. He was only a few years old. We took him out in a cat carrier and brought the carrier home without the cat. Needless to say, the cat had to be put down due to kidney disease. This time the dog actually cried. So, I go to the shelter and am chosen by a little 8 week old tortoise shell kitten. We brought her home, and the dog quit looking for the other. However, she has little to do with this kitten. It is like, "I am not going to get too close, because they go away and don't come back." I wonder what will happen with the cat when the dog goes. She is almost 10...
Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Kenz, It is never easy to lose a loved one, be it human or pet. Out pets become family members. We had a English Mastiff and a Great Dane. The Mastiff past a few months ago from bone cancer and the Dane is still learning to adjust
without her best friend. We have a small cat and the cat and Dane have now began to bond. We show the Dane extra
love and include her in all our trips outside to water flowers, mow lawn, feed cattle etc. It just takes time for the mourning period to run it's course. I am very sorry for your loss.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 AM

I would try finding another cat a few years younger and maybe even try getting one the same color. They say animals are color blind but trust me they aren't. My dogs always knew what toy I was talking about and so does my cat. Sorry for your loss.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 AM

Get another pet. Animals grieve just like people do. Spend more time with them. Toys to distract them.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by KenZ View Post
Our female cat that was in our home for over 16 years passed away. Her male companion for the last 14 years is just lost. He goes through the house looking for her every few hours, even during the night. When not looking for her he just mopes around all sad. Any pet lover have suggestions?
Try a stuffed animal. When my grandmothers one cat died, her sister was also lost (very sad). Then about a week later - we heard a "thump, thump, thump" coming down from up-stairs. Every one went into the kitchen (bottom of the stairs), here comes the cat with her new buddy. A stuffed duck from the middle of the bed in the up-stairs bedroom. Duck went (first stop), to the food dish so Rinka could eat. Then duck went to the window so Rinka could watch out said window. And last but not least duck would go to bed with Rinka just like her sister did. Over time duck didn't go as many places, but duck was always in bed and at the food dish. When Rinka passed she was put into the back yard with her sister, but we kept poor old battered duck. No one could give her up, duck has been around for 35 years now. Good luck
Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM

My last doggy Bonnie passed away and her mate n friend, Clyde grieved for over 3 months I really thought I was going to lose him and then the little female Jack Russell that we had bought came on heat and he was fine, typical male!

I think the only reasonable cure is to adopt an older cat friend for him, sad but true.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 PM

When my cat Sammy died, Bertha would go through the house looking for him and "crying" It wasn't her normal meow, but a very sad sounding and loud call. I got another cat and that helped, but she searched and cried for him for a couple of months. It was so sad to listen to her. She died about 2 1/2 months after he did. He was 13 and she was 19.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Try Googling something like "how to help a grieving cat". When we had to put our dog, Yankee, down last fall, I was a wreck. So I looked online & found quite a number of places that really helped me. Hey, it can't hurt, right?

Isn't it amazing how closely our pets mirror our feelings? Good or bad, they just seem to "know".