Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Very Sad Cat - Any Suggestions? >

Very Sad Cat - Any Suggestions?

Very Sad Cat - Any Suggestions?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 PM

Time heals all wounds, even grief. Spend time with him before,he to goes on.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 AM

Really another animal helps. If your not ready then the extra attention might help for him to get his mind off the other cat,
Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by wanda lou View Post
give him lots of love.
This is the best answer. Our pets are so much like humans in a way. They don't always understand what's going on. My son has a dog; an Akita that he has had since it was a pup. He's like my son's baby since he's had no kids. My son had to go away about 3yrs ago and we've been babysitting every since. A few months after my son was gone he had called and we put the phone up to his dog's (Bandit's) ear so he could talk to him. Bandit was so excited. The problem was for weeks after that he was a naughty little dog getting into everything; just like a kid when the dad goes off to sea. We've never made that mistake again. It's been rough because the dog almost died in Sept from bloat which would have killed my son and then we just had him fixed this past week. When I put Bandit in the car after surgery I told him I loved him and he just turned his head away from me. I hurt his male ego. My son comes home in June and I can't wait to see the two of them together after all of this time. He is the best dog and I've been so scared that something would happen to him while my son was gone. He's 7yrs old. I just had an elder care package done on him where the vet checks him for everything, cancer, everything and he got a clean bill of health. So that takes alot of stress of of me and my son. The dog is the first thing he asked about. When he gets home I know my son will be living with me at first but when he moves out my little american eskimo will be at a loss. They are best buds, they even preen each other. I hope things get better and keep on giving the love.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 AM

Hold him, pet him, talk to him as your schedule allows.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:06 AM

Thanks to all for the thoughtful suggestions and ideas.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

When my cat got sad, it helped to carry him around a lot, just like a baby. I would pick him up, take him to a window to look outside, talk to him, etc. I did this very frequently throughout the day, put him on my lap while I was on the computer, etc. The extra attention lavished on him really helped.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 AM

I would suggest that you go to the Animal shelter and think about adopting an older cat that likes other cats and in time they will become best buddies.....and cats do mourn, when our dog past away our cat mourned her for several weeks. Hope you get it figured out. Our furry friends are the best
Old 04-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

I am so sorry for your loss. Animals morun too. Give him lots of attention.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
When my sweet Thelma passed away, I asked our vet what to do for her sister Louise. They said to be sure to give her extra loving and just keep an eye on her. She would come around. Louise did well but I think she got to say her goodbye because Thelma passed while I was at work. It was a surprise and very heartbreaking to me. It has been 1 1/2 years and I still miss her. I also think Louise did well because we had a smaller dog so he kept her busy.

I know cats are different from dogs...as we have 4 cats! I do hope your little Man gets through the loss without too much issues. Give him some extra snuggles tonight.

When our female dog's male companion passed away at 15 (they had been together since both were less than a year old) she moped around for about 3 months and we got the same advice from our vet. I didn't know this at the time, but it's very important that animals have closure just like us, that they get to say goodbye. We had the male home on a sort of hospice for a week and the female stayed close by.

After the 3 months we got a kitten, we didn't expect the female dog to bond with the kitten, but we thought another furry body was a good idea. As an adult, the cat was very protective of the dog, running interference for her when we had company and walking with us in the evenings. If the dog went outside, the cat went outside, he never let her get too far out of his sight. When she passed at home, the vet told us to be sure the cat was around and to put him near the dog, because animals need closure just like humans, so we did. Our female dog passed away just 1 month shy of her 19th birthday. The cat required extra attention, but he did pretty good overall.

Also, don't be alarmed if the cat (or dog) changes somewhat in their habits, or in just their general behavior. That's not unusual. After our female got over her mourning period, she was less demanding of our attention. She preferred sleeping in her bed vs. on our laps and things like that.

My avatar is Floppy, our female.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 AM

Very sad for the lost of your cat, I had cats and dogs with me for most of my life and I know that they mourn. Extra attention and love is important and in time you will know if it's ok to get another pet friend.
My big lab Mozart just turned 11 years old on April 6 (post Happy Birthday Mozart) and even tough he looks yound and he's still active, my hubby and I know that we will loose him and we try to get our minds ready for that. Her buddy Holly who is 8 yrs old will miss him dearly but she will have her cat friend Celeste to look after her.
Give your cat lots of love and attention and if you see that it's too difficult, get him another companion