Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What Do You Use To Adhere Your Cutting Mat? >
  • What Do You Use To Adhere Your Cutting Mat?

• What Do You Use To Adhere Your Cutting Mat?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM

I use Handi-Tak (check for it on google) on the underside of my mats, etc to hold them in place. It comes off very easily if I need to move it and it doesn't leave a mess.... It's the same stuff I used when my kids were in school to tack up all their ART on the walls. I love the stuff and always keep it on hand.
    Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 AM

I use double-sided sticky squares and they work just fine. I think they're by 3M but not sure at the moment. Find them anywhere. Let us know what you decide to use & how it works for you. Good luck!

Jane
    Old 11-15-2012, 05:48 PM

Handi-Tak sounds very similar to Sticky-Tack and museum putty. I use Sticky-Tack for all kinds of stuff around the house, it's great! The absolute best use to date - I used it to tack down all of my husband's family's antique china I have on display shelving. We had a decent-sized earthquake a few years ago, not one piece of china shifted or fell, thank goodness.
    Old 11-16-2012, 03:21 PM

Well, I tried thin strips of Scotch Double Sided Tape, but it didn't last long. Then again, I was using 1/2" thick tape to try and hold a 30" x 36" dense cutting mat. So, today I stopped into my local Ace and when I found they didn't carry Double Sided Gorilla Tape, I picked up some 2" Double Sided Carpet Tape. I just applied it to the table and my mat stuck instantly. I'm hoping it lasts. Thanks!
    Old 11-16-2012, 04:20 PM

I just purchased another large Olfa mat and butted it up against an existing mat withDritz double sided Res-Q Tape. My older mat has been taped down with the double sided tape for over a year and has never moved even a fraction of a smidgeon. In other words, the tape is good stuff! I secured several rolled pieces of the tape along the edge that butts up against the old mat. Fits exactly perfect and measuring the inch marking along the bottom, it is a perfect inch spacing. Lines up beautifully. I can't believe I waited as long as I did to make a bigger mat. No more moving yardages of fabric while cutting. There is no lumpiness or raising of the mats using this tape. This tape can be found most anyplace.