Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Advice needed please >
  • Advice needed please

• Advice needed please

Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 AM

You might try putting the fabrics in a large plastic bag with a cotton ball soaked in vanilla. Works for most odors
    Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM

I wish I had some advice for you but I don't. Just a lot of sympathy. Best of luck to you with this situation.
    Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 AM

I agree with BettyGee! You might get replacement fabric or just save others from the same experience. I think they should replace the fabric, especially the mildewed fabric.
    Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM

The squeaky wheel gets the grease! Be the squeaky wheel!!!! I would raise a ruckus like they've never seen. Fabric costs too much to be an issue when it comes!
    Old 02-22-2013, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

I can relate - although the fabric I have in mind was from my own stash. I used to smoke, then was finally able to quilt, however, every piece of fabric that was in my bedroom, especially, as that is where I sewed, had to be washed before I could deal with it. Then when downsizing from a house to an apt. I gave away almost half my stash, which I hated to do, but had no choice. A few months later I was working on our family reunion quilt and I remembered a very large piece of fabric that would be perfect for the back of the quilt. My friend graciously gave it back to me, however, I didn't realize it until I went to iron the fabric and spritzed it with water and the fabric reeked of tobacco smoke. Picture this - I'm on a very tight timeline to finish the quilt, so I measured pieces long enough for the back, then cut; then I put the fabric in the sink, washed it and then hung it in the bathtub, using the safety bars as a clothes line. It was too late at night to use the washers in our apt. bldg., plus would be an added expense. It came out all right, but I've learned to check. However, I have never received fabric from any on-line source that smelled of tobacco. It's not logical in this day and age to have people smoking around fabric. I hope you get some compensation from the source of your fabric.
    Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM

I have not had your problem but I wonder if you might get rid of the smoke oder with a spritz of Fabreeze? It doesn't leave any residue on fabrics-draperies, furniture,etc.. You might try it on one of the parts you had to cut off.
    Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM

So sorry this happened to you. I agree with the others to make a ruckus about it---not acceptable.
    Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 PM

I would definitely contact the designer to let her know. Something along the lines of "you may not be aware, but the fabric that you sent to me smelled strongly of smoke and mildew and I hope that you can give me some guidance as to how to save it"

This will let her know that there is a problem without being rude, and offer her the chance to make it right.

Last edited by ArtsyOne; 02-22-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM

Not to mention BED BUGS hitchhiking their way into your home!

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    one of those (reasons) many of us bring packages into the house- open them in the laundry room & put the fabrics right into the wash- before it goes anywhere near the sewing room we wash & dry it- then take our new, freshly laundered soft wonderful new fabric into our sewing space to iron it & either use it or fold it to put away. you never know what you will bring into your home that comes from a stranger's home. since you've already cut the fabric & don't want to wash it now- you will need to struggle through the smell & wash the finished quilt. i'm surprised you did not notice it when you opened the packages- i can usually tell as soon as i open the packages- even if the fabric is in plastic bags.
    Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM

I don't know about the mold but for the cig smell i ued fabreeze with great results. just spray real good and let it air outside if possible over night.