Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Here's a tip for using jelly rolls >

Here's a tip for using jelly rolls

Here's a tip for using jelly rolls

Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 AM

not all jelly rolls are created equal..I bought one a while back and wanted to add some of my own fabrics to it...when I went to sew the strips one was wider then the other...the ones I bought were 2 and 3/4" not 2 and 1/2"...I will measure from now on....just an FYI....
Old 04-14-2013, 09:25 AM

I like Garielle's Mimi's idea for laying precut strip or layer cakes on the cutting matt...great thought!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:49 AM

Just wondering... Why are some precuts made with pinked edges? Does that fabric tend to ravel when cut?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info...I have several jelly rolls...
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM

I've only bought one jelly roll and the edges were not pinked!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
perfectly clear! good idea! but...

What if the two you have stitched together only come to 4.25 and not 4.5? I think you will find that most Moda jelly rolls are barely 2.5" width with the zig zag left on. In fact my seam for any two strips can never be a full quarter inch.
So far I haven't met Moda jelly roll that's less that 2.5" (except when it's cut
crooked) but I usually cut the strip in half to start with...so much easier to work
with. After cutting the strips in half, I starch and press them before cutting.
You can either return the strips to Moda (if that's an option, as I see you're in India)
or reduce your seam allowance a smidge. But if the strips are really off, I would find
a different pattern where the 2.5" is not so important. It's also possible to just make
the pattern and you will end up with a smaller block. If all the blocks are consistent
then it's all good too. Just depends on the pattern.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by quiltqueen61 View Post
not all jelly rolls are created equal..I bought one a while back and wanted to add some of my own fabrics to it...when I went to sew the strips one was wider then the other...the ones I bought were 2 and 3/4" not 2 and 1/2"...I will measure from now on....just an FYI....
At least they gave you 2 and 3/4" and not 2 and 1/4". That additional 1/4" gives
you the chance to trim it just like you would have to trim the edge when cutting
yardage.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaY View Post
Just wondering... Why are some precuts made with pinked edges? Does that fabric tend to ravel when cut?
Most cotton fabrics tend to ravel. That's why they pink the edges.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
perfectly clear! good idea! but...

What if the two you have stitched together only come to 4.25 and not 4.5? I think you will find that most Moda jelly rolls are barely 2.5" width with the zig zag left on. In fact my seam for any two strips can never be a full quarter inch.
I read ...probably on this board ... that when using jelly roll strips, you should put a piece of painters tape 2.25 inches on the LEFT side of your needle and use that as your guide. Then when you sew your strips together you will end up with the right measurement. Your seam may not be a consistent .25 inch, but your strip set will be 4.5 inches. Hope that made sense!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:09 AM

I'm one of those quilters who love pinked edges. After I finish piecing a top, I turn it over and try to remove the threads that have raveled off before taking it to the LAQ. Cutting off those tiny threads takes forever! With the pinked edges, no stray threads to remove. When I do my own quilting, I do not remove the raveled threads as I really dislike that job. My only problem with jelly rolls is when the strips are not cut straight of grain.