Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Preparing the backing fabric should be easy, but... >
  • Preparing the backing fabric should be easy, but...

• Preparing the backing fabric should be easy, but...

Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 AM
    Power Poster

you need three pieces of fabric sewn together. that would be three yards long which is 108 inches. you should have enough for length and width.
    Old 05-10-2013, 10:16 AM

I almost NEVER have enough fabric to do my entire backing - I use up my leftovers from the front and come up with a simple design and just "make it work" That is actually one of the fun parts - designing a bit on the fly.
    Old 05-10-2013, 10:34 AM
    Power Poster

nine yards is exactly what is needed for her quilt though. cut into three yard lengths and sewn together.
    Old 05-11-2013, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Your reply confuses me. I'm not sure what you mean by "each half". If you piece the back diagonally, you will have one single seam running diagonally, for instance from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. There will be no seam running down the middle.
    If you look VERY CAREFULLY at the directions for diagonal piecing, somewhere in the small print, it says if you use 44 in fabric, you can only make a back that is 150% of the width, which is 63 inches. So in this case, she would have to take each half and diagonal-piece it, or piece one diagonally and leave the other one plain.

Depending on whether or not the back is already cut to length, there are several things I would do. If it is already cut, one would be to pick out the seam, use the cut off fabric to make a strip for the middle, but somewhere along this strip, add a block (or two or three) that matches the front (or not. Maybe you have an orphan block that would work). That way it would look planned.
    Old 05-11-2013, 05:13 AM

This is an interesting thread because of such varied experiences. I especially enjoy Jan's diagrams. I have made backs in many ways both lengthwise and horizontally. I have used wide backing and I have used 44" fabric. I use graph paper to draw it out sometimes. I really like to use 'left overs' from the front to 'enhance' the back. Therefore, I incorporate left over blocks (or I make extra blocks) or strips made from the scraps to use. Sometimes, I add them in a precise manner and sometimes I cut the backing and add the strips randomly. I enjoy the comments of recipients about the backs. This creates conversation but it also cuts down on growing baskets of scraps.
    Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog
    This is an interesting thread because of such varied experiences. I especially enjoy Jan's diagrams. I have made backs in many ways both lengthwise and horizontally. I have used wide backing and I have used 44" fabric. I use graph paper to draw it out sometimes. I really like to use 'left overs' from the front to 'enhance' the back. Therefore, I incorporate left over blocks (or I make extra blocks) or strips made from the scraps to use. Sometimes, I add them in a precise manner and sometimes I cut the backing and add the strips randomly. I enjoy the comments of recipients about the backs. This creates conversation but it also cuts down on growing baskets of scraps.
    Yep, what she said and a huge Thanks to Jan for ALWAYS coming up with pictures to make things make sense!!
    Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 AM

A king size flat sheet measures 108" x 102". Very simple and waaaay cheaper!
    Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks for the link Onebyone!
    Old 05-11-2013, 06:03 AM
    Power Poster

I've usually measured the quilt top and added 12 inches all around. 24 long and 24 wide. Anything left over goes to the scrap bin.
    Old 05-11-2013, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
    I think you should have cut the fabric into three pcs of 3 yds each. and sewed them together. That way it would have ended up 108" wide by approx. 120 in long. I always figure fabric never to be more than 40 in. wide.
    If I don't buy wide backing fabric, I usually have the shop cut my backing fabric in 3 yard increments. That way I don't have to try to measure it myself. I also buy 9-1/8 yard. The first cut is 3-1/8 yard so I can square it up. I really don't like having to measure 3 yards on my cutting table.