Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lending out your sewing machine. >

Lending out your sewing machine.

Lending out your sewing machine.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:44 PM

Only my grandkids are allowed to use my machines - under supervision. A friend asked if she could use my serger to make a camera bag - she then serged bubble wrap on each piece - blades had to be replaced, at my expense of course. Never again.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 PM

My new Viking Ruby- no. My older Viking Lily or Rose-maybe...depending on who. I will say that I just helped a little 4her with her sewing project...this is her 2nd year to sew in 4h and I did let her sew on my Ruby but, she sewed here in my sewing room with me supervising. She needed to make 3 buttonholes and my other machines don't do such a good job. Besides, my Ruby was the machine in the cabinet. The little gal finished her pillow this father noon and I couldn't wait to have my machine 'back' again!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 PM

Also...a few years ago there was a younger person at work who really wanted to sew but could not afford a sewing machine. I wanted to help her out so I GAVE her a brand new Singer still in the box. (I had purchased that machine on a really good clearance at Sears for $35. Didn't need it but thought I would give it to our 4h sewing club.). To make a long story short...imagine my surprise a few months later to see on FB that the co-worker was offering the sewing machine for sale...still in the box...never used. I was really ticked off.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Lending out your sewing machine is like another woman riding on the back of your husband's Harley.

It ain't gonna happen!!!!!!!!

LOL
You are SO right. My husband had to put a solo seat on his Harley after I started riding my own. Everyone's sister, niece, daughter, etc. thought they could ride with him, and he got tired of that quickly. LOL
I do let my friends use my sewing machines, but only when we are sewing togther (i.e. under my supervision). It's more fun that way!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Depends on why they want to borrow my machine and the level of their experience. Also is the machine important or not. A stranger lent her machine to me so I could sew some things for a church , I was visiting my sister in law and they needed some sewing done. The machine in question had been stored in a closet and not used in yrs, I was able to adjust the stitch length and completed the project. I consider that an unusual situation.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Even if the neighbor was a good friend and an accomplished sewist, I'd probably say no.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 PM

A group of us get together once a month to make charity gifts. One of the gals had loaned out her extra machine to one in the group to use at home while that gal's machine was being (fixed). LOL The gal brought it back to the group, and it just sat until a new member couldn't bring hers. The "loaner" machine took two stitches, and came to a grinding halt. Some of us know just a little to be dangerous, but we checked the bobbin, and there was a small piece of thread. It still didn't work, but we did find sooooooo much thread caught in the up take it was almost knotted in there. Denim pieces, metallic thread, and oil that we couldn't even cut out. The borrower said, " it worked great for me while I was sewing my heavy denim with all the accessories I needed." It cost the loaner outer over a $100 to have it fixed. We never did see what the borrower made. NO I DON'T LOAN ANY OF MY MACHINES!!!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

Depends who it is and how well you know them.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 PM

No, and I hope I have the courage to say no firmly
Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 PM

I've let others use my machines in my sewing room or I've given someone a machine I wasn't actively using.
A long time ago a very wise person told me never to loan anything I wasn't willing to let the person keep.