Bark Collars

Old 08-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

Please don't torture your dog with one of those devices. Dogs bark for different reasons. He is probably defending his family.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:16 AM

I would not use anything that is punishment. We had a Siberian Husky that was fear aggressive. I had a trainer come and try to correct the behavior. That was the worst thing I could have done. He used punishment instead of rewards. I never did get the behavior corrected. I think it just made it worse.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 AM

There are different types of collars. There is one that we have used on our Lab, it does not shock or anything else that is hurtful. It emits a high pitch noise that dogs can hear that they find irritating, it emits when they are 'nuisance' barking, not alarm barking. When we bought ours (about 5 years ago) they were about $10. I think it might of been from Carol Wright but not positive.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:10 AM

My dog loved to herd our ducks and sometimes would get into the neighbors yard and herd his 4 cows. It kept her happy.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:21 AM

We have a beagle too that has a bit of a barking problem. The best option we found was a citronella collar. It does not hurt, but he doesn't like it at all. All we have to say is "Do you want your collar?" and he knows to stop barking. If he really can't resist, usually just showing it to him is enough to stop him. If he's really determined, we put it on and it works. Again, it does not hurt.....it deters. Lots of mixed opinions out there, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I might add, we love our dog enormously......and tried the squirt bottle, advice from the vet, beans in tin cans, and anything else we heard before resorting to the citronella, which interestingly enough, was one of the first suggestions we were given by our vet. Had we tried it much, much earlier, it would have been better overall for him and he never would have developed a "problem" in the first place. I can't imagine loving this dog any more than we do, but we had to do what worked......just like any form of appropriate human discipline....
Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
I am not going to get into right or wrong but we used one to get our beagle to learn quiet command. We zapped ourselves on the lowest number and it wasn't bad. We actually never had to shock her since the beep worked perfect. I believe it surprised her and she would look at us. We are fine with her barking to protect her domain but when we give the command quiet especially at o'dark thirty, we expect her to listen. We put it on her for about a week and everything was resolved in that amt of time. It was expensive but worth it. If the neighbors had complained, she could get in trouble.

Last edited by SavedByGrace; 08-09-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 PM

Beautifully said, and I totally agree!

Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
Citronella and shock collars do NOT take the place of training. Dogs can easily (and humanely) be taught not to jump on people without sending a jolt of electricity through their necks or sending a foul spray into their eyes, nose and mouth.

We bring dogs into our lives to be our loving companions. Would you spray or shock your kids when they were doing something you didn't want them to do? No, you would teach them the right way to do things in a loving, caring manner. Yet some folks think it's okay to do these things to their dogs. I will never understand that. If you don't want to take the time to train your dog in a loving, humane way, please, please do not get a dog.

To be perfectly honest, sprays, shock collars, prong collars, etc. are all the lazy way out for people who do not truly have the dog's best interest at heart. Afterall, it's pretty easy to just toss a collar on the dog and start zapping away than to actually take time to educate yourself on positive training methods that take a bit more time, effort and energy right? If you choose to be that person, then that is for you to live with. But please don't promote it to others as the "right" way or a "good" way to train dogs. It simply is not. Because in reality, no training is going on at all with these methods.