Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Flea Collars - Do They Work?

Flea Collars - Do They Work?

I asked Jim if instead of the spray bottles we've been buying, should we get the dog a flea collar. He said that they do not work. What is your experience? What brand names have you tried?
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I like the Adams brand. They work really well for our dogs, and last for 7 months.
    Count your life by smiles, not tears. Count your age by friends, not years.

"I, myself, am entirely made of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."

From the time Advantage came out I have never used anything else. I bought it from the Vet. and in about 24 hours all fleas are gone. From what I know the fleas spend time on pets only long enough to bite and get blood to feed on. Most time is spent off the dog. My experience years ago is the flea collars do not work. My Daughter gets some flea med.s for her Labs in pill form. Money well spent.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I live in the South so nothing works but the flea pill. I get Sentinel tablets from the vet. Works 100%.
    Got fabric?

We use Advantage for our 8 lb doggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    I asked Jim if instead of the spray bottles we've been buying, should we get the dog a flea collar. He said that they do not work. What is your experience? What brand names have you tried?
    Anna Quilts

I used Dawn on my dog and cat, and gave them a bath about every 2 weeks. No fleas on them! And they were inside/outside pets.

Her at our house our 4 dogs and cat do not have fleas. We have not found any fleas or ticks on any of them.
    But our Vet gave us a sample of advantage to use.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I use Advantage on my cats and it works very well.

Advantix works very well.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

I used the Advantage flea stuff on Socrates the first year when he was a puppy. I pulled three ticks off him. I haven't used anything since. For some reason he hasn't had a flea, or tick on him since. Since he has fine hair, I use sun screen. I wonder if that has to do with it.

The biggest issue with fleas is you need to treat the area where the dog lives as well. On the odd occasion we've had fleas, it's a major battle. We bathe the dogs with flea shampoo multiple times several days apart. But also, all the carpets, dog bedding, our bedding, furniture, etc. need to be treated as well. Otherwise the eggs just continue to hatch and you still have fleas. It can be a nightmare. Remember to treat your vacuum cleaner as well. The eggs will also live there. For us it usually means a 2-3 week adventure.

Blog Entries
    When I feel necessary, which hasn't been often, I use Advantage on the dogs and cats, even my barn cats and I don't have fleas. I think you have to be careful with the collars, especially with cats because the clean themselves. I put one on a young cat once, she was about 8 months old and it made her terribly sick. Took the collar off and she was fine in less than 24 hours. We live in the woods and thank heavens, we haven't had a problem with ticks.

Blog Entries
    We have never had fleas but we do get lots of ticks...once we use Advantage no issues.

Blog Entries
    I've found it really depends. I used the Advantage on my cats and dogs, it did nothing for my cat but when I put the flea collar on her, it worked great. The Advantage also did nothing for my dogs, one is over 100 lbs and the other around 30. My little one I put on the all in one pill (its new so I don't remember the name, starts with a T) and it works pretty good, it also treats heartworms, etc. When my daughter took her to be groomed she said she only had about 4 fleas on her which was pretty good. I think sometimes its the area that makes some of this stuff work and not the other. My daughter who grooms pets says the flea collars are better for cats and some smaller dogs.
    Judy

I put a flea collar on a weenie dog we had and it took all the hair right off his neck! Never again!

dd
    I have always used the drops, which ever the vet recommends that year. One year I had to buy a flea collar too. This year I asked and he said to use Seresto. It's expensive, over $70 with a $20 rebate, but it works. In the long run it's cheaper than drops, which always worked for us. Our cats are indoor cats but we do have the windows open.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

There is a chemical in the flea collars that is poisonous to animals. It can cause kidney failure and other icky things. I wouldnt ever use a collar on any of my babies.

we use Frontline it works great

I live in the Atlanta area where fleas, ticks and mosquitoes are a real problem. My vet said that flea collars are pretty good for ticks but nothing beats a systemic medication (I use Trifexis but others mentioned their favorites) from the vet. With Trifexis, I don't have to worry about fleas, ticks, intestinal parasites or heartworm. This is with the 5 dogs. On the other hand, with the 3 cats, two of whom are white (which supposedly attracts fleas) they live mostly outdoors and have never had flea or any other kind of problems. Go figure.
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    I've found it really depends. I used the Advantage on my cats and dogs, it did nothing for my cat but when I put the flea collar on her, it worked great. The Advantage also did nothing for my dogs, one is over 100 lbs and the other around 30. My little one I put on the all in one pill (its new so I don't remember the name, starts with a T) and it works pretty good, it also treats heartworms, etc. When my daughter took her to be groomed she said she only had about 4 fleas on her which was pretty good. I think sometimes its the area that makes some of this stuff work and not the other. My daughter who grooms pets says the flea collars are better for cats and some smaller dogs.
    That would be Trifexis. A one-pill-a-month treatment for all that could ail them...... pricey but worth it, IMHO.
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

I've never had one that worked. Even the Advantage and Frontline have their limits. We lived in FL and it's summer year round. Even in NC I've never had anything that worked well.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    We have not used a flea collar in 18 years.

We use Revolution, from the Vet, on our pets. The package says to use it monthly, but we find one treatment in the Spring is good for at least a year. We have 3 cats (indoor/outdoor) and a small dog.

I think where you live can make a huge difference in how much of a problem Fleas can be.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mary quilting View Post
    we use Frontline it works great
    same here.... but the vet recently told me about a new collar they are using that lasts 8 months... when my Frontline is used up I'm going to try it. The vet's dog is an outside dog... in the country, too, so he's out in the fields... and the vet reports no bugs!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Being in rescue for years I think I have seen just about everything on the market. I haven't seen the collars do anything but make dogs sick. I use Frontline or Advantix on my dog along with Heartgard. I wish I did not have to use any of the poisons but short of never letting the dog out of the house or spraying them repeatedly with the essential oils , like every time they go out , I have to. I have seen what fleas and heartworm can do to dogs. The thing is do your research , Never use ivermectin on a collie type dog, yes I know there are people who have but in my mind better safe then sorry. Know what symptoms to look for if your dog has a reaction. I buy my things online which saves some money. And I do have a small dog now but when I was also paying for my daughters 2 big dogs and her cat it got really pricey.

Blog Entries
    I don't use them. They could cause skin problems but that's just me.

A simple thing to do is spray with diluted lemon juice. Fleas hate that and won't bother the pet. I used it on all my dogs in the past and worked every time. It's the citrus smell I guess.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast