Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Flea Collars - Do They Work? >

Flea Collars - Do They Work?

Flea Collars - Do They Work?

Old 05-27-2013, 05:54 AM

I've never had one that worked. Even the Advantage and Frontline have their limits. We lived in FL and it's summer year round. Even in NC I've never had anything that worked well.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 AM

We have not used a flea collar in 18 years.

We use Revolution, from the Vet, on our pets. The package says to use it monthly, but we find one treatment in the Spring is good for at least a year. We have 3 cats (indoor/outdoor) and a small dog.

I think where you live can make a huge difference in how much of a problem Fleas can be.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by mary quilting View Post
we use Frontline it works great
same here.... but the vet recently told me about a new collar they are using that lasts 8 months... when my Frontline is used up I'm going to try it. The vet's dog is an outside dog... in the country, too, so he's out in the fields... and the vet reports no bugs!!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 AM

Being in rescue for years I think I have seen just about everything on the market. I haven't seen the collars do anything but make dogs sick. I use Frontline or Advantix on my dog along with Heartgard. I wish I did not have to use any of the poisons but short of never letting the dog out of the house or spraying them repeatedly with the essential oils , like every time they go out , I have to. I have seen what fleas and heartworm can do to dogs. The thing is do your research , Never use ivermectin on a collie type dog, yes I know there are people who have but in my mind better safe then sorry. Know what symptoms to look for if your dog has a reaction. I buy my things online which saves some money. And I do have a small dog now but when I was also paying for my daughters 2 big dogs and her cat it got really pricey.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:14 AM

I don't use them. They could cause skin problems but that's just me.

A simple thing to do is spray with diluted lemon juice. Fleas hate that and won't bother the pet. I used it on all my dogs in the past and worked every time. It's the citrus smell I guess.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 AM

Your smart money is on Advantage from the Vet's office. No appointment needed-just walk in. You can buy it by the tube. I have 3 small dogs and 2 cats I get 7 doses out of each tube =$13. I dose them then wash their bedding in original Dawn dish soap and their good for the next 3 months. No flea's and no tick's and that makes my fur babies very happy
Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 AM

I am a retired vet tech. Most flea collars only keep the fleas away form the collar area; the rest of the body is free game for the fleas! There have been alot of newer and better flea products. Alot of them have been mentioned already. One hint tho, if you dog is a short haired dog the Advantage, Frontline etc. just gets rubbed or shaken off. There is a new product that is in pill form called Comfortis. Works great for me. I only use it twice a year just for insurance. If fleas are bad in your area remember to spray your yard.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 AM

Forgot to mention one VERY important thing, I'm sure old age!! Anyway NEVER, NEVER use anything that has pyrethons in it. I know I did not spell the word right. The best I can say is to sound it out. LOL
Old 05-27-2013, 09:20 AM

I use Advantix, and other than the scratching Molley does from some sort of Allergy, they are both great. They don't like when I first put it on them because it makes the a little sick for awhile
Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 AM

I have two Yorkies that I use Advantatix. The vet said to take the collars off and use them in the vacuum cleaner.