Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Should I buy this Bernina 831? >

Should I buy this Bernina 831?

Should I buy this Bernina 831?

Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 PM

I have had a Bernia 1260 for about fifteen years and have had no problems. I have it serviced about every four years and keep it in good shape. I love it. I need a lighter weight machine to take to me quilting classes and "quilting bees", so I have been considering a Baby Lock Grace. After much looking and trying out the machine, I believe I am ready to make the purchase.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:01 AM

YES! YES! YES! ... go see it even though it is a bit of a trek ... buy it! Even if it has a few issues it is a workhorse. My MIL has had one she purchased new that she still uses on occasion (especially for sewing group days). You can get extra feet if necessary online, flea markets, thrift stores or yard sales. People don't know their worth and just get rid of them. My DIL bought a case full thinking they would fit her electronic Bernina but she has the new style feet so she passed them on to me (I have an original 930) ... Lucky me!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments!
I'm an happy new owner of a 831.
I did the "trek" to go see the sewing machine yesterday and found it it was in pristine condition and coming with 7 feets. The owner assure me she was taking it to service every year. The sound of the motor was awsome. Visual inspection of the inside showed nothing dirty or rusty. Because it was not possible to try the sitches on the spot (the owner have forgotten she had an apointment to the hospital, and it was too far from my house to come back later), I offered 150$, just in case. Everyone was happy with this deal. I tried it this morning: nothing is wrong! This beautiful lady sew soooo smootly... I could use it in the middle of a bedroom and wake up nobody. I'm in love!!!
In comparaison, it made me understand that my 707 is not quite right; too noisy, and not quick enough at starting. I dismantle it a little and found out a lot of black power on the side near the motor; something to do with the carbon brushes? For now I will put it away, and eventually try to fix the problem myself. A good way to practice my skills on a less valuable one.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Congrats. The motor brushes on your 707 probably could use a check to make sure they're still long enough. Black powder residue is not uncommon. You should also check the belts on your 707 to see if they're loose or need replacing. And of course lubricate and oil it. It's amazing how dry machines don't respond as well.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Candace, I follow you suggestion and found out the motor brush is exactly 3/8 long. It's a big on the short side, do you think? Otherwise the belts looks fine (not loose or damaged).
Is there supposed to be two motor brushes? I found the one that is obvious, under the cap on the top of the motor; where is the other one?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:58 PM

Yes, they should be changed. I don't own a 707, but typically they're across from eachother. The top one is the easy one to check. If one is short it's a give the other will need replacing too. You may have to go through the bottom of the machine or remove the motor case to give you access to it.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by profannie View Post
Candace, I follow you suggestion and found out the motor brush is exactly 3/8 long. It's a big on the short side, do you think? Otherwise the belts looks fine (not loose or damaged).
Is there supposed to be two motor brushes? I found the one that is obvious, under the cap on the top of the motor; where is the other one?
Directly opposite of the one on the top.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Profannie, Profannie, Profannie.

Hasn't anyone ever told you that going to "see" a sewing machine is about as good as going to "look" at puppies at the shelter? ;-)

Congrats in advance on what I am willing to bet is, by the time you read this, your newest machine. You will love it. :-)
Thanks for the laugh...and Truer words were never spoken...I say this as I sit here with 7+ machines...sigh...
Kif
Old 08-16-2013, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by profannie View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments!
I'm an happy new owner of a 831.
I did the "trek" to go see the sewing machine yesterday and found it it was in pristine condition and coming with 7 feets. The owner assure me she was taking it to service every year. The sound of the motor was awsome. Visual inspection of the inside showed nothing dirty or rusty. Because it was not possible to try the sitches on the spot (the owner have forgotten she had an apointment to the hospital, and it was too far from my house to come back later), I offered 150$, just in case. Everyone was happy with this deal. I tried it this morning: nothing is wrong! This beautiful lady sew soooo smootly... I could use it in the middle of a bedroom and wake up nobody. I'm in love!!!
In comparaison, it made me understand that my 707 is not quite right; too noisy, and not quick enough at starting. I dismantle it a little and found out a lot of black power on the side near the motor; something to do with the carbon brushes? For now I will put it away, and eventually try to fix the problem myself. A good way to practice my skills on a less valuable one.
Congrats on your "new" find!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:09 PM

Thanks Kiffie... I feel proud like a new mom!
Eeehhhh... the other motor brush is on the opposite side? Thanks Mark.
Damn, I was hoping not having to put the whole thing off. Do you have to take off the pulley to be able to remove the motor? Sorry for the technical details...