Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina sewing machines >
  • Bernina sewing machines

• Bernina sewing machines

Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 AM
    FLQ

Wow! This is a very informative thread. I've recently purchased two older Bernina's, Nova 900 (circa1970) and a 53O (circa 1980). I mention this as a testament to the durability of the Bernina machines. I have friends in my guild who have each of the machines you listed and they are more than satisfied. I learned something important when I bought my last higher function machine. While test driving and learning I decided to focus on two models...one was all the functions I thought I needed and the second was a step up with a two additional features at about $600 more. I bought the lesser cost machine. It has served me well but now my sewing projects have evolved and those extra functions would have been quite usefull. Next time I buy a new machine I will probably stretch a little to get the step up.
    Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 AM

If you don't want one with bells and whistles the best Bernina ever made, according to my Bernina guy, was the 930. This is one that was made before computerization and while the parts were still 'hand-milled' (not sure what the term is, something like that). Mine is over 25 yrs. old and it is a little workhorse. I have never had any problem with it other than parts wearing out, like needing my feed dogs replaced because they were about smooth. I can go from sewing very thin fabric to thick without changing a setting. Never skips a stitch. For just basic sewing it is great! When he can get them, he sells them for about $750. I hope mine keeps sewing as long as I do! I don't care about embroidery or other computerized functions since my main sewing activity is piecing quilts. I hand quilt, so I don't need the machine to handle large quilts either.
    Old 08-30-2013, 05:36 AM

thanks for the info on the sole plate for the walking foot on the 440QE-teri j
    Old 08-30-2013, 05:52 AM

I would say the 550 would probably be the best machine if you need a work horse. I purchased a 215 and was very unhappy so I took it back is a short time and traded for a 530. It's a much better machine. I also have a 153 QE and a 440 QE. My BSR is interchangeable with the 440 and the 530. The 440 embroiders too and all the feet are interchangeable between all three machines. Go to your dealer and try them all out and decide which one fits your needs, but the 550 is more expensive, but it is also the one that will probably last the longest.
    Old 08-30-2013, 05:58 AM

I too have the 440QE, which I don't think is available any longer, and I also have a 780. I have a Bernette 46 and also the 2000DME serger. I can't say enough about Berninas. But I wholeheartedly agree with everyone else here that the best thing to do is to go to the dealer and test drive a few different models and compare the features. It might take you a couple hours, but well worth it in the long run. You will be happier! Good luck!!
    Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 AM

Reb - I must have the same dealer - they also have the best quilt store in the area! Dealers are so important -mine helps over the phone and solves many issues for me that way. (Most of those issues would be user caused :0()
    Old 08-30-2013, 06:14 AM

I have the 550 QE and love it. I'm a new sewer and quilter and the BSR is worth the price of the machine.
    I've had her now for a year and a half and just took her in for a cleaning, she's hardly stopped working since I got her.
    I don't know about other models but the 550 QE is made for quilting and so easy to use. Ofcourse I took the lessons that came with her which I would advise even the best sewer to take, you learn so much about your machine and what it will do. The BSR and walking foot and all the normal feet came with my machine not at an extra cost. I would want this included with the price of the machine and I got a really good deal because of the sale at that time. I'm sure you can deal with whoever you buy from if not go elsewhere.
    Good Luck,
    Mia
    Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 AM

I love my 2 Berninas. 1260? Can't remember, as my daughter has been using it. 440 QE. I adjust the bobbin tension when needed. Both machines work well. My 440QE is a little temperamental if I don't clean out the dust bunnies.
    Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 AM
    Suz

The "QE" at the end of a Bernina machine number, means is has embroidery capabilities. Keep this in mind when looking at machines and determine if you want to embroider. If you plan to free-motion quilt, I suggested you get one with the BRS capabilities.

I traded a Janome when I got my first Bernina, a 450 (used), traded up to a 730QE (used) and eventually to the 830QE (used). I was primarily interested in a machine with the BSR. I recently purchased another used machine, the Artista 200 which also does embroidery as a backup machine and one that goes easily to class.

These are quality machines and highly recommend them. Our dealer is either #1 or #2 in sales volume in the country. Therefore, he has used machines and offers great service. Service should be high on your requirement list. You will not go wrong with a Bernina. Let us know which one you purchase.
    Old 08-30-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by jbud2
    I am looking at getting a Bernina sewing machine, primarily because that is what is available with service in my area. I did a search on the board for comments on the ones I've been looking at but usually the name of the machine is not listed in the topic title. If I looking the wrong way for information, I'm sure someone can tell me how to do it correctly!

I have eliminated the Bernina 215, mostly because I need a bit more than this machine offers.

The others are the 330. 350 PE and 550QE. I don't fell like I ready for the other models with all the bells and whistles and then some.

Can you give me your opinions on these machines? Likes and dislikes?

My dear Elna is in the shop. I had her in for service in May - the first time since I've had her since 1985. The reverse wasn't working and after a good cleaning and check-up, it was fine. Then last week, I'd step on the pedal to go and it wouldn't. If I moved the wheel, it would go and seemed to sew fine. But the machines seems a bit noisy so road trip for Elna! Keeping my fingers crossed that they can repair her and I don't need a new machine. But maybe she is telling me she is tired and would prefer to be my back up. She has served me so well . .. .
    My Pfaff did that and I agonized for weeks. Sometimes it would sew, sometimes not until it just didn't. It was the little thing in the foot pedal plugin, that plugged into the machine. That was broken off, just didn't fall out until I was struggling trying to get it to go. It fell out on the floor. Repair man said that was the problem. My Pfaff was 25 yrs old at the time. My daughter now owns it and it is still loved.