Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina sewing machines >

Bernina sewing machines

Bernina sewing machines

Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM

Default Bernina sewing machines

I am looking at getting a Bernina sewing machine, primarily because that is what is available with service in my area. I did a search on the board for comments on the ones I've been looking at but usually the name of the machine is not listed in the topic title. If I looking the wrong way for information, I'm sure someone can tell me how to do it correctly!

I have eliminated the Bernina 215, mostly because I need a bit more than this machine offers.

The others are the 330. 350 PE and 550QE. I don't fell like I ready for the other models with all the bells and whistles and then some.

Can you give me your opinions on these machines? Likes and dislikes?

My dear Elna is in the shop. I had her in for service in May - the first time since I've had her since 1985. The reverse wasn't working and after a good cleaning and check-up, it was fine. Then last week, I'd step on the pedal to go and it wouldn't. If I moved the wheel, it would go and seemed to sew fine. But the machines seems a bit noisy so road trip for Elna! Keeping my fingers crossed that they can repair her and I don't need a new machine. But maybe she is telling me she is tired and would prefer to be my back up. She has served me so well . .. .
Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

visit your dealer/service center and 'test-drive' the different models & see which one you like best- they are all good machines- and it is a definite plus having a dealer/service locally= often free *owner classes* come with the new machine so you can learn all it has to offer.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

I have the 440QE and really like it. A good service center is a great advantage. I purchased the extra Service Maintenance Agreement on my Bernina, which means I can take it in any time for anything at all, even just cleaning, for free.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I have an older Bernina 1260. It's a great machine. I paid $450 for it from a Bernina dealer, it was a one owner trade in. I would ask about a trade in before buying a brand new one unless you really want a brand new one.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:20 PM

Just bought the Bernina 550 QE, this summer and the Horn Cabinet that it fits into for quilting. Love it, sharing it with my dh 'cause he likes to sew but messes up lesser machines... Elna and the Lily and Singer by messing with the tension, and he cannot mess this one up that way 'cause the digital read out tells what is going on.

He quilts with me and makes his own kilts, etc. The Horn cabinet weights in at 175 pounds but is on rollers, so its easy to handle. Large shelf on left and behind the machine to hold the quilt for quilting. Love it so far...a bit nervous in starting with it, but it has been very nice to use. Ask questions, take the lessons, pay attention to the needle sizes and thread for it.

Could not afford the 700 or 800 series and this was a good compromise. No it does not embroidery, so I bought the Deco 340 for that. I have a Bernina 1530 since 1999, love it so much, I will continue to work on it. First time in all my tears of sewing, I have a sewing table for each machine and a cutting table and wide ironing board....and lots of light in the quilting room. Got a good deal from my dealer, I hope you can from yours and enjoy. You may BM me for any specific questions about it and I will tell you or find out for you. It is an amazing machine to me. Yes, I would recommend it and it will last a long time, I think.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:22 PM

I have the 350 as a backup machine, it is used by my granddaughter when she comes up to sew. It is a nice machine, sews beautifully and is very dependable.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM

I have the 440 QE also, with BSR and I love it. Bought mine the year before I retired so I would have a good machine after retiring. Best machine I ever had!!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:30 PM

Be sure to test drive the different models...I thought I wanted the 440QE, but after testing the 350 PE, I found it was adequate for my needs. Saved myself lots of money for fabric! . It stitches beautifully and it's so quiet! Have fun!
Old 08-28-2013, 04:35 PM

I don't have a Bernina, but I so support going to a local dealer and test driving the machines. I went in looking for a specific machine and after test driving some of them, I walked out with a completely different one they let me try for 5 days. Needless to say, it's still with me and I love it!!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Reb

I had an Elna that I traded in at my Bernina Dealer. I thought the difference was very noticable. I have the Bernina 440QE. Dealer is so important. I went about an hour away when I had another dearer right across town. My dealer has been there quite awhile and are incredibly knowledgable. One thing that had to be fixed was a new power supply. Probably caused by a flucation in power. It is a computer, after all. Suggest surge protector. I'm not sure what is in the 550QE package. Mine came with the quilters foot, BSR and walking foot in addition to the 'normal' sewing feet. I just found out there is a sole plate for the walking foot available that is for Stitch in the Ditch. You might want to be sure they are including that. My dealer does not want her customers to mess with the tension screw in the bobbin case. I was going to, finally, buy the extra case because I agree, I didn't want to mess up my original. They brought out a bobbin case with a black tab. It is speciffically made to play with your tension when using spciality threads and about half the cost! I was asked what its primary use would be. I answered King Tut thread top and bottom. He took it back and adjusted the screw to set it up for me! 1 last thing. Be really prepared when you go to test drive. Bring specific fabrics and threads and batting that you use and a plan of stitching you want to check out. Take your time. It is easy to get distracted on the sales floor. Happy shopping! BTW did I mention my dealer happens to have the best quilt store around!