Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas gift question :) >

Christmas gift question :)

Christmas gift question :)

Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Either one would be a great gift, however, I love the suggestion of the reversible runner.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 AM

Thanks everyone~I think I may try for a winter/spring reversible........
Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 AM

I host and run the table runner swaps here on the board. I personally think something in Christmas fabric should be delivered well before Christmas as a gift. If its a Christmas gift why not use winter fabric? the beautiful blues/whites/silver snow fabrics? absolutely make the back a reversible could use in another time frame.. just bind it in coordinating colors to match both sides. Say if you use blue/white then do the back in hearts and roses for valentines day you could bind it in white so it is easily flipped. Those are the runners that make everyone happiest I think a dual usage item.. keep in mind the persons home colors when making them and they will get lots of love for a very long time. (ie if they have rust and green don't make a blue and pink runner)..
Old 09-08-2013, 06:29 AM

Reversable would be great, but Christmas comes every year--at the beginning of the next holiday season, the gift would feel new again.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I also use tartan's idea when I make seasonal table runners too. If it is a winter themed on one side I make it either fall or another season on another. Or it could be Christmas on one side and winter on the other to extend the use time.

But, if you want it to be used year round, make it with something that fits the colors and theme of their dining room.

The year before last I made runners for all of my sister's in laws and my two sisters. They were Very well received. (They fit the color scheme of their homes.)

This year I am making purses. I hope they all like them as much as the runners.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 09-08-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by nonda View Post
I am wanting to make a couple of table runners for Christmas gifts for an Aunt and a neighbor. Would you make it in Christmas fabric (thinking that Christmas would already be over when they opened their gift) or would you make something that could be used year round??????

I know this is a personal preference~ I just want to see how many of you tend to go each way!

Thanks

When I give something made with Christmas fabric I give it at Thanksgiving.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
Could you make a reversible one that could be used for Christmas or year around.
Check out the blog at Salt Water Quilts. She does this and I think she might have a tutorial, as well.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:28 AM

I wouldn't worry about a Christmas themed piece being too late if opened Christmas morning. It can be used that day and will surely be used next year, it won't be thrown away like wrapping paper. In my house Christmas is celebrated till Jan. 6 also.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

If you make it in CHRISTmas fabric, I would definitely give it to them about two weeks before letting them know that you wanted to make sure they would get a chance to use it.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Rather than Christmas, try doing one side winter/snowy and one side spring/ summery. Pick a binding that will looks good with both sides and it can be used year round.
Tartan wins again on her suggestion, makes it very useful for a long time.