Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Winding bobbins from thread cones? >
  • Winding bobbins from thread cones?

• Winding bobbins from thread cones?

Old 09-11-2013, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    Serger thread isn't strong enough to be used in piecing or regular sewing.
    I've used serger thread for my piecing for quite some time, haven't had a problem with it. I bought a Janome 8200 this year so I had to upgrade the quality of serger thread - the cheap stuff just won't work, but still don't have any problems.
    Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 AM

I've tried all of the above for sewing with cone thread but had problems with filling bobbins from the cone until someone on this board said to wrap the thread around the arm of the cone thread holder once to get a little tension and now my bobbins fill perfectly. I also run my thread thru the tension disc like you would if you were using a regular spool of thread on your machine.
    Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 AM

My DH made me some adapters to use with larger spools of thread. He took a piece of dowel rod and drilled a hole up the center so that the thread with fit on my machine by inserting the dowel rod piece into the center of the large spool of thread. It works good.
    Old 09-11-2013, 08:26 AM

I used to have a thread stand (don't know whatever happened to it) but they cost around 20 bucks. So I bought a cheap banana holder (the kind with the hook to hang a whole bunch) and use it for cones, whether sewing or winding the bobbin. Works great.
    Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 AM

I know there are thread "purests" out there, but I use serger thread all the time in my bobbin, YES, even for sewing my pieces together. I'm not making heirloom quilts. I once read an article that said not to use thread that is soooo strong it won't break. WHY you ask? Well it's easier to repair a seam that's opened up than repair a block that's torn because the thread wouldn't give. Makes sense to me.
    Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Fons and Porter had the question on their show a few years back about using serger thread for quilting. They said it is just two ply instead of three ply, and you would be fine using it for quilting.

I set my cone on the floor next to or behind the sewing machine table and the thread comes up to the table edge and then through all the necessary thread guides. Works beautifully unless you have fur babies! So I cut a plastic bottle in half, attached the bottom half to the machine with a piece of wire, letting it hang off the right side of the table/cabinet about 6-8 inches down from the top. Works well on my 301A.

Another helper I had was a recipe holder made for me by my nephew. It had a clothes-pin glued on to hold the recipe card at a readable angle, so I took the loose half of the clothes-pin off, and the springy thing, too. This held the cone at an angle so the thread could come off the top easily. That sat right on the table behind my machine for many years.

Now I have a stand someone gave me because her new machine had one built in.
    Old 09-12-2013, 05:59 PM

I think that serger thread is 2 ply and regular thread is 3 ply. That is so you don't build up bulk on the seam finishes. I have used serger thread when an embroidery pattern is dense. It will work like bobbin thread. It won't be as strong for sewing but will work in a pinch.
    Old 09-14-2013, 05:17 PM

I use a quart mason jar and closed safety pin for my cones of thread. Cheap, handy and keeps fur babies away from the thread.
    Old 09-14-2013, 05:27 PM

I put my cone is a large tea pot and thread the machine as usual. The thread flops around a bit but other than that all is well.
    Old 09-14-2013, 06:47 PM

I've just set the cone over a regular empty thread spool on the spool pin. I do lightly hold a finger on top of the cone when winding the bobbin so it doesn't try to fly off.