Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Winding invisible thread on bobbins OR learning the hard way >

Winding invisible thread on bobbins OR learning the hard way

Winding invisible thread on bobbins OR learning the hard way

Old 11-14-2013, 06:49 AM

Default Winding invisible thread on bobbins OR learning the hard way

When they say not to wind invisible thread too tightly, they really mean it. I was winding a bobbin last night, thinking I was doing well because I was going nice and slow. I heard a couple of little cracking sound and just thought I was leaning too hard on the extension table (it was late, I was tired, I SHOULD have been in bed). So I'm just backing up from the table when ZING! the top pops off the bobbin and hits me in the face. Coils and coils of nylon thread flew up into the air like snakes out of the trick can of peanut brittle. Glad it didn't get me in the eye! This is the hot mess I was left with.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]446785[/ATTACH]

Lesson learned, I will pay more attention next time. Any tips for proper winding of invisible thread bobbins. Do they sell prewound bobbins with nylon thread? I have wound them before with no problem. This was a different brand of thread than I usually use, so maybe it just stretched more. Then relaxed on the spool and expanded.
Attached Thumbnails invisiblemess.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 07:20 AM

I use a mesh 'sock' (not sure that's the correct word) over the spool and wind very slowly when I put invisible thread onto the bobbin.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Wow, what a mess! I have never used invisible thread, and don't think I want to now. I'm glad it didn't get your eye.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:33 AM

I have never used clear in my bobbins, couldn't get them to wind correctly and was told by my machine guy it's not good for the bobbin case, so I use bottom line in the bottom and clear on the top. Sorry I have no answers for you.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I am so happy it didn't get you in the eye but have to admit when you said 'like a trick can of snakes" I Lolled!!. I really am glad it didn't hit you in the eye.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:43 AM

You also want to make sure that you don't wind it all the way to full - 3/4 is about enough. I just go a little slower and haven't had an issue yet. I was told that the reason you don't wind it all the way full is that because of the stretch, etc. is that it can make your bobbin go out of whack so it won't work right and won't be usable again.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Why did you want invisible thread in the bobbin? I have used it on top when I didn't want the thread to show, but I didn't care whether it showed on the bottom or not so I used a lightweight thread there.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:16 AM

I am making items for sale and I am very particular about how the back looks even when I'm making for me. I've been using it for some time, just ran out of my usual YLI Wonder Invisible, and had this spool of evidently cheaper thread. I think I will avoid using this thread the bobbin in future and stick to YLI.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:31 AM

I've used it in the bobbin when I was working on a two sided signature quilt.

When I wind it on the bobbin, I do it slowly to mitigate problems with stretching.

Very glad it didn't hit you in the eye.

Cheers, K
Old 11-14-2013, 12:10 PM

First, polyester invisible thread is better. Nylon stretches, breaks, yellows, etc. Superior Threads sells pre wound poly bobbins. They use winding machines that wind them at the right speed and come out perfect.