Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A couple of questions about invisible thread..Can someone help? >

A couple of questions about invisible thread..Can someone help?

A couple of questions about invisible thread..Can someone help?

Old 11-16-2013, 05:16 AM

Default A couple of questions about invisible thread..Can someone help?

First, let me preface this by saying I am a relatively newbie at quilting and have gotten so much help from everyone here so I am turning to you all wonderful quilters!
I am taking the Craftsy class on machine finishing applique. I bought the Superior thread invisible and am using So fine in the bobbin. I bought the microtex 70 needles.
So here is what is happening.
Per the class instruction I am using a zig zag stitch with 2 length and 1 width. I can sew for about five inches before my material seems to get snagged in the hole where the needle goes into the machine. I stop, try to free the material and of course the invisible thread snaps. What am I doing wrong?
Also the thread by the spool after a while gets wound around the holder. Instead of just feeding in the direction of the needle it kind of goes backwards and wraps around the holder. I have checked a zillion times and it is threaded correctly. And if it makes any difference the holder is horizontal. I have a Singer confidence quilter ( I know, I know from reading this board there is some very strong opinions about the Singer line but I loved my old basic one and it was in my price range)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Liz
Old 11-16-2013, 05:20 AM

Re: the thread wrapping around the spool pin, I've learned to put a mesh sock around the spool itself. It keeps the thread from unwinding too quickly.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
Re: the thread wrapping around the spool pin, I've learned to put a mesh sock around the spool itself. It keeps the thread from unwinding too quickly.
Yes, and you can also cut a leg section from hosiery/pantyhose. Re the material snagging in the needle hole--maybe the sandwich is difficult for the 70 needle---have you tried a 90?
Old 11-16-2013, 05:50 AM

I don't have an answer for you, but "invisible thread" always makes me giggle! I think of the scene in one of the Harry Potter books when the booksellers laments about having ordered a supply of _The Invisible Book of Invisibility_ and could never find them again! I wonder if quilt shops have the same problem?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I always used invisible thread only as a last resort. I always would use matching thread with each applique making sure I stitch in order so I had no overlapping problems. Gramajo suggestions about the mesh sock is also an excellent suggestion.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:06 AM

Use a 90 topstitch needle and turn your tension down to about 2. There is info on Superiors website. I also think your zig zag stitches may be too tight. What are you making? MonoPoly isnt used for piecing. Usually used for FMQ and topstitching. I have had good results using a small ZZ for applique

Last edited by snipforfun; 11-16-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:07 AM

I love my Singer too! I have used invisible on wall hangings and sewing on Scout patches. The pantyhose works to keep it from unwinding too quick. After all, it is like sewing with a fine strand of hair. I use a regular size needle and I put invisible in the bobbin also. I know several have recommended not to but it works for me.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:15 AM

I am also a newbie so maybe I bought the wrong kind of invisible thread but it felt to me like I was sewing with fishing line. I hated it and will probably never use it again.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
I am also a newbie so maybe I bought the wrong kind of invisible thread but it felt to me like I was sewing with fishing line. I hated it and will probably never use it again.
You should try MonoPoly. It is a very fine poly vs. a tough nylon.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:24 AM

I only use YLI Invisible thread & I do use one of the zig zag stitches on my Viking Rose. It stitches for several stitches than than takes a notch to each side, repeating thereafter. I don't know what kind of spool your thread is on, but with the YLI, you have to watch that the thread does not catch on the notch cutter by just turning the spool around so that it feeds from the opposite end.