Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A couple of questions about invisible thread..Can someone help? >

A couple of questions about invisible thread..Can someone help?

A couple of questions about invisible thread..Can someone help?

Old 11-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

When I use monofilament thread (always the poly, never the nylon) I put the spool of thread in a coffee cup behind the sewing machine, then thread it through all the normal places on the machine. To keep the fabric from getting snagged into the hole in the throat plate, you may need to get another throat plate with a single hole. This really helps when you don't need a wide stitch, whether you're using mono thread or not. However it won't work for your applique. Is your needle sharp? If not, it could also be forcing the fabric into that hole. Also check your bobbin area to be sure it's clean, and take the throat plate off and clean under it. It could be that the thread from the top is getting stuck somehow below the throat plate and that's what's causing your fabric to get pulled down.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:57 AM

I agree! Nylon invisible thread is awful, which is why I use polyester invisible thread. It is soooo much easier to work with. It doesn't melt like nylon invisible thread, it's easy to use. Give it a try and give the old nylon invisible thread the boot. Throw it away. I had to buy my polyester invisible thread online, since there were no local sources available. I think I bought mine from Sulky. Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:38 AM

I think you have been given great advice. Add checking your tension to the list. Once you make sure your thread is not snagging and is feeding properly. I have only used MonoPoly for quilting, but I have to crank my tensions WAAAAYYY back on the top. I even crank it so loose I get bobbin thread poking up..then I turn it back a bit at a time till I can no longer see the bobbin thread on top. When I get 'challenges' like this..out comes a practice sandwich till I can figure out how to troubleshoot! Let us know what works!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

the invisible threads I have purchased from Superior Threads came with a mesh (cover) in the package with the thread to place over the thread to keep it from unraveling & getting wound around the spool pin. I use the size needle the package says to use *70/10 topstitch* is what the package recommends- I do generally use a 'sharp' instead of a topstitch. I've not tried the microtex needles you said you use- I always buy Schmetz(sp) needles. you may need to use a lightweight fusible stabilizer under the fabric. I would try a new sharp needle & interfacing...when I took applique classes we were always encouraged to use a lightweight non-woven stabilizer under our work.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

It sounds to me as if your tensions are set too high. Invisible thread is stretchy, and reducing the tension stops it from stretching so much.

I wonder also if your bobbin tension is too high. Did the class give you instructions about tension settings?

I have used YLI nylon monofilament with no problems for many years, probably because I followed all the instructions in Harriet Hargrave's book on invisible machine applique. This monofilament is .003mm thick, which is about the size of a single strand of hair, so it is not like fishing line! I have seen spools of invisible thread at JoAnn's that do look and act like fishing line, though. It may be that nylon thread has a lower melting point than polyester, but I have tested mine with a very hot Rowenta iron and no matter how long I hold the iron on it, it does not show any melting or other damage at all.

After reading so much about polyester threads, I did try some from Superior. It's a nice thread, but it is not as fine as the YLI nylon and shows considerably more on machine applique. Since I have not seen for myself any of the reported yellowing or brittleness that nylon is supposed to have over time, I still prefer to use the YLI nylon. I should check Harriet Hargrave and see if she has changed her views on nylon thread. If any quilts would have yellowed or brittle thread, hers should since she was the first one to start using it for quilting so many years ago.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Check the throat plate hole that the needle goes into. There are commonly two kinds of throat plates. One with a wide hole for zigzag stitching, and one with a single hole for straight stitching. Make sure you are using the one with a single hole. The needle will have a tendency to puch the fabric down and snag with the wider hole.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 AM

Thank you thank you all!!

As soon as I am home gonna change the needle, look for the mesh thing ( or maybe use the coffee cup!)...I am at work (and much rather be quilting!) or I would be running to my machine right now.

This board and you all are the best!
Old 11-16-2013, 11:50 AM

Thread sock is your best bet. What brand thread are you using, sometimes it can be how it is wound, some brands are better when it comes to the invisible type. I like superior monopoly, there are so many brands out there
Old 11-16-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I don't have an answer for you, but "invisible thread" always makes me giggle! I think of the scene in one of the Harry Potter books when the booksellers laments about having ordered a supply of _The Invisible Book of Invisibility_ and could never find them again! I wonder if quilt shops have the same problem?
I always think of the time I was helping in the Sulky booth at Quilt Show and this lady walks up and says "I have a complaint about your invisible thread!" The lady in the booth says "Okay, what problem are you having with it?" and the customer says very loudly "I CAN'T SEE IT!" It totally made me laugh. I was thinking "Isn't that that idea?" LOL