Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Glide is now my machine quilting thread of choice. >
  • Glide is now my machine quilting thread of choice.

• Glide is now my machine quilting thread of choice.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by matraina
    BellaBoo, which kind did you get? I checked it on Google and there were many types. Thanks.
    There is only one kind of Glide thread. I selected from this color chart along with the prewound bobbins to match.
    http://www.bobbincentral.com/glide.html The thread sets are the best value.
    Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 AM
    Power Poster

I agree that the thread sets are the best value. LOVE my thread sets! Also, they give a 15% discount on your first order. If you're not sure, call or email to get a sample to try the thread out in your machine. I should have done that but instead took a chance and ordered a couple of thread sets. I'm really glad I did, because I love the thread, but I would have been out that money if it hadn't worked well for me. I've seen a couple of posts from quilters who said their machines will take any thread except Glide, but have no idea why that might be so. Most quilters, like me, find that it eliminates shredding and breaking completely, plus I really like the bit of shine it adds to my quilting.
    Old 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Can this thread and prewound bobbins be used in a Singer sewing machine?
    Old 09-13-2013, 12:15 PM
    Power Poster

The thread can be used in any kind of sewing machine. The prewound bobbins come in size L and size M. My Voyager 17 is a stretched industrial Singer and it takes size L bobbins. I love the magnetic prewound bobbins, but they are not available in all colors. I have used the thread to wind my own bobbins too.

What Singer sewing machine do you have? Different models were made with different size bobbins. Here is one list I found:
    http://www.inthehoopdesigns.com/x-ca...BobbinSize.pdf

You can also look up your machine here:
    http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/?gc...FchDMgodtEQA7Q
    They offer the correct bobbin for each machine, so you may be able to figure out the size from that.
    Old 09-14-2013, 04:46 AM

I was introduced to Glide in a workshop taught by Mark Sherman. It is what he uses on all his beautiful quilts. Wonderful thread and the price is pretty reasonable compared to many others.
    Old 09-14-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I started fmqing a crib quilt this morning and didn't have one thread breakage or tension problems. I'm finished with the quilt. I had bought Glide in an unusual color (on sale) and it was the exact color I needed for this quilt. I remember how much I like the thread from last time I used it and why I didn't continue is anyone's guess. I'm machine quilting using Brother 1500 machine. Glide will be the thread I use for machine quilting.
    Glide is all I buy and use also-super thread
    Old 09-14-2013, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I agree that the thread sets are the best value. LOVE my thread sets! Also, they give a 15% discount on your first order. If you're not sure, call or email to get a sample to try the thread out in your machine. I should have done that but instead took a chance and ordered a couple of thread sets. I'm really glad I did, because I love the thread, but I would have been out that money if it hadn't worked well for me. I've seen a couple of posts from quilters who said their machines will take any thread except Glide, but have no idea why that might be so. Most quilters, like me, find that it eliminates shredding and breaking completely, plus I really like the bit of shine it adds to my quilting.
    I love Glide can not imagine why anyone would have issues with it
    Old 09-14-2013, 06:04 AM
    Power Poster

Hmmm I am running Glide now on a long arm and I love it, after I figured out I needed a bobbin genie, inexpenisve inset in bobbin case. I agree though it is a bit shiny for some quilts especially reproduction.

Originally Posted by Silver Needle
    I love Glide but I'm going to try 40wt So Fine on a Client quilt for a more matte look.
    Old 09-14-2013, 06:51 AM

LOL. The only "Glide" I was familiar with is Dental floss. Imagine my surprise at the original posting; I had to find out how floss could be used in machine work. I know I haven't kept up with all the "new" threads (no pun intended)since I became a less active quilter; I'll check it out online. Anything that makes the piecing and quilting easier is definitely worth researching. Got to go. My 87 year old mom and I are heading for a junior football game to cheer on my mom. I even have a jersey.
    Old 09-14-2013, 06:58 AM

I 'found' Glide at my new owners class in June. I LOVE the stuff! I just wish I could find a local supplier. I don't mind mail ordering from BobbinCentral or my dealer...I just hate to WAIT!