Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello Time Update >

Bargello Time Update

Bargello Time Update

Old 10-05-2013, 02:30 PM

I learned in a college art class a long time ago to arrange your colors in an "earth to sky" setting, for example your darkest colors, like blacks and browns at the bottom, work your way up to yellows, light blue, white at the top. Greens, reds, orange, pink, purples in the middle. Makes your eye gently flow up without a harsh demarcation. Ever notice how a vase is usually shaped narrow at the bottom, wider at the top--kinda like vapor dissipates as it rises. This is how I try to set my colors when I'm overwhelmed, and it's always worked for me. Maybe this will help you.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
everything is close to the same 'value' ... you need a balance of lights, mediums and darks to help it 'flow'. from what I am seeing you have maybe 3 lights- everything else is medium/darks. sometimes it helps to take a picture of all of the fabrics- stacked like you have them- then print it off in grayscale- then the color does not *interfere* and you can see the values of the fabrics. they are nice colors but you need to find some more lights, & lighter mediums or darker darks- most of your fabrics are the same value-even though you have a variety of color.
What ckcowl is saying - -

When I do the 'blurred vision' thing - the greens 'merge' into one color - the same thing happens with some of the other colors -
Old 10-06-2013, 01:52 AM

I'm not sure if I can post this link, but this is the quilt I was trying to replicate

http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/hs1965.shtml
Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 AM

Your fabric arrangement is much better this time, but the pale green and mustard yellow right after the dark brown still seem out of place.

I think you could probably use your first three in the top row in the sequence after the dark gold or between the orange and the dark brown. It seems like there needs to be more browns in the sequence if you are trying for the Amish one you linked to.

Getting everything in its proper place can be both fun and frustrating. Lol! But well worth it.

This is going to be very pretty!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I don't like the turquoise (6th from right, bottom row) next to the other greens.
I agree with dunster. But your values look a lot alike. You need to have lights, medium and darks. I don't necessarily agree that you only have to use two colors in Song Surf. But you do need variation in values. Sometimes it takes me months before I am pleased with the results of the fabrics I picked. I would also suggest you lay out the width of your fabric and see if that is pleasing to your eye. GOOD LUCK!!!