Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • PLEASE HELP - Which stitch would you use??? >
  • PLEASE HELP - Which stitch would you use???

• PLEASE HELP - Which stitch would you use???

Old 10-20-2013, 01:25 PM

I would go with a blanket stitch as well if its going to be a lap quilt, zig-zag can get kind of stiff feeling if it gets too thick. I can't wait to see what you make!! FYI, not sure if you have use of embroidery machine but Urban Threads has an awesome set that embroiders out the constellations.

Happy Stitching
    T
    Old 10-20-2013, 04:06 PM

I would use Texture Magic on the trees to give them texture easily. I used it in a quilt for bushes and it worked perfectly! You can find Texture Magic at http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...texture-magic/ or your LQS may have it. Great ideas to give this quilt the oomph it deserves!!
    Old 10-20-2013, 04:53 PM

If you are going to be using your machine to sew it, I would use the stitch that takes two stitches out side the applique, and one bite in, I do machine applique all the time and this is what I use, sorry that I don't know the name of the stitch. When I use pictures that are printed in material I use June Taylors Computer printer fabric(white fabric,pfd in the 81/2 x 11) this is the best that I or any of my fellow quilter friends have found. You get a really good deal on http//:www.junetaylor.com (shoot I never get the link thing correct. The number on the package is JT-858computer fabric. Good luck and enjoy.
    Old 10-20-2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    I would use Texture Magic on the trees to give them texture easily. I used it in a quilt for bushes and it worked perfectly! You can find Texture Magic at http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...texture-magic/ or your LQS may have it. Great ideas to give this quilt the oomph it deserves!!
    I have been watching the videos & love the way this looks & works. Thank you so much for the link.
    Old 10-20-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
    If you are going to be using your machine to sew it, I would use the stitch that takes two stitches out side the applique, and one bite in, I do machine applique all the time and this is what I use, sorry that I don't know the name of the stitch. When I use pictures that are printed in material I use June Taylors Computer printer fabric(white fabric,pfd in the 81/2 x 11) this is the best that I or any of my fellow quilter friends have found. You get a really good deal on http//:www.junetaylor.com (shoot I never get the link thing correct. The number on the package is JT-858computer fabric. Good luck and enjoy.

Are you talking about a twin needle stitch???
    Old 10-20-2013, 05:52 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
    If you are going to be using your machine to sew it, I would use the stitch that takes two stitches out side the applique, and one bite in, I do machine applique all the time and this is what I use, sorry that I don't know the name of the stitch.
    I think that is the hem stitch. It's the one I use on my Bernina; I just have to change its direction so the "bite" goes to the left.
    Old 10-20-2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I think that is the hem stitch. It's the one I use on my Bernina; I just have to change its direction so the "bite" goes to the left.
    I'm guessing that I just need to practice & see what works for me. So many ideas & I appreciate everybody's help.
    Old 10-21-2013, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    I like your creative ideas .........
    However, if your neighbour asked you to make the moon and night sky, then I really think you should be keeping to the request. Yes, if the neighbour agrees ... but please don't make it a surprise, otherwise you risk their disappointment, and even worse, perhaps affect your neighbourly friendship.

S/He may have other reasons why the simplicity is desired and that is not for you to decide otherwise.
    I agree, perhaps he had a reason for requesting only the moon and sky.

Last edited by Aurora; 10-21-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    Old 10-21-2013, 05:37 AM

If he is paying for it you should make it according to his latest request. If it is a gift you should feel free to combine his wishes with your creativity. IMHO

I recommend just seaming your fabric together. Straight lines are fine if you aren't comfortable with curved seams. Put the curves/hills in with quilting. At least one of the seams will probably be partially covered by the house anyway. Illusion will take care of the rest.

Last edited by ShirlinAZ; 10-21-2013 at 05:40 AM.
    Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 AM

No not twin needle, I do think it is the blind hem stitch. I set it at a low number so the stitch isn't very wide, it works great.