Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • May Have To Use My Treadles This Week >
  • May Have To Use My Treadles This Week

• May Have To Use My Treadles This Week

Old 12-06-2013, 09:48 AM

We have about 1/2" of snow here today. No one here drives in snow on any kind of regular basis so things can get ugly quickly with any sort of snow or ice on the road. I prefer to wait until it's gone before I go out.
    Rodney
    Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Staying in after storms is beginning to feel good to me. I worked on Highlines most of my life, so storms used to mean going to work. I’m ready to stay home where it’s warm and dry!

I put a big pork roast in the Crock Pot yesterday morning and cooked it all day long. Last night when we got home from the shop, my wife and I made pulled pork out of all of it! She doesn’t like quite as much fat in her meat as I do, so we each pull our own bowl-full. ("His and hers pulled pork", if you will.)

We don’t care how much it snows, we’ll be munching on sandwiches for a while.....

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM

Here in TN the DH and I have "his n hers breakfasts"--I like my sausage and eggs way doner than he does, so that's our way of dealing with the differences. And it has turned cold and wet here too--we are in for the duration. On our way home from some outing yesterday, our 4 wheel drive SUV fish-tailed enough to make a believer out of me.....I hate that feeling, and could just see us landing upside down in some farmer's tobacco patch.
    Old 12-06-2013, 11:50 AM

We knew that the storm was coming for a long time, and we had known that winter was coming for even longer than that. Being from rural, mountainous, snow-catching, avalanche-prone, powerline-breaking, road-closing, plow-your-own-way-out-or-stay-put country, we learned how to keep a well-stocked larder, and still keep doing it here, although on a considerably smaller scale. Groceries had to come over a mountain on one side or the other of us to get to us up in the mountains.

Here in tornado alley, we still don’t generally have to make a last-minute dash for anything at all. We can hold out fairly good for a few days. But, we have storm events that can make the stay-put time be as long or longer here as it was in the mountains. Some of our neighbors were out of power for more than 9 days in a row during the ice storm back a couple of years ago, and the grocery store didn’t get a lot of deliveries during that time. We lost power off and on a few times during that storm, but for less than 24 hours each time. We sat in the kitchen with a big pot of spaghetti and a big pot of sauce on the stove and played cards. Tornados can put us in the dark for a few days too, but it’s not as cold and time seems to go faster.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 12-06-2013, 10:48 PM

The high today was 32. I've been sewing off and on most of the day with a 1917 White Rotary treadle. Its near the electric space heater, so I was toasty warm while I was sewing red,white and blue 3D bow tie blocks for a soldier quilt that will go to a wounded soldier at Fort Hood army base in Killeen,Texas.
    Sharon Weaver