Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilt is unravelling! >

My quilt is unravelling!

My quilt is unravelling!

Old 12-30-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If this fabric is giving you problems now - think what it might be doing five years from now after some use and a few washings.

I agree that it would be a big undertaking to pick it apart at this stage and replace the problem fabric - but do you want to deal with it for the life of the quilt?
I totally I agree with this. I had this happen to a really pretty quilt I made for someone. We were both crushed when *some* of the fabrics started to disintegrate. I ultimately decided not to fix it, because I knew more problems could come later. I honestly couldn't tell why some fabrics fell apart and some didn't – they were all from the same manufacturer.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 AM

Boy that is an issue no one wants to deal with. So sorry it happened to you. I hope that you can achieve a satisfactory fix for this quilt.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
You simply inspect them by looking at them, both sides. How many times have we all sewn a seam only to take it off the machine and find the fabric that was on the bottom slipped and you only caught a few threads of it. That is what madquilted meant by "check your seams", Inspect, look ensure you have a good seam. It happens to the best of us.
This step saves much aggravation later in the process......but to repair one that exists the suggestions of ladder stitching that seam closed extending that hand repair well into both "good" sides is probably the only "fix". Also make sure when hand quilting that the seam is not open,rather laying on the side of the weaker seam and stitch something near it for added reinforcement....I have had this happen on L/A for clients...yes it was crooked seam on one of fabrics....had to stop,ladder stitch together and make sure "design" went over/ very near those areas to reinforce them
Old 12-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

If it were me, I would be tempted to just hand blind-stitch the wayward fabrics in place, then finish quilting. You might also be able to hand applique a new piece if the seams have pulled too much, just use tiny stitches. The very first quilt I sold was a roman stripe of 5 colors and black triangles. I thought I had purchased new fabric, but in certain places it started to disintegrate. Since it had already been machine quilted, I hand appliqued a black triangle onto the "holy" places, then re-quilted the triangles. I was beyond embarrassed, but the client was very understanding and happy with my repairs. Thankfully.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 PM

I will second the response on applying fray check. I have done this before - - with success. Without a picture its hard to tell if your situation is the same as mine. I would also suggest using June Tailor's fray block as it dries much softer than the fray check
Old 12-30-2013, 06:37 PM

I saw a really cute idea on a quilt. It had a paint splat appliqued on it.
Attached Thumbnails paint-splatter-could-lsu.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:17 PM

that is cute!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 AM

I would chuck it or take it apart and fix it or give it to the dog. Most remedies will probably continue in the future.