Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilt is unravelling! >

My quilt is unravelling!

My quilt is unravelling!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:23 AM

Default My quilt is unravelling!

I made a beautiful quilt, layered it, basted it, and started hand quilting. One of the fabrics I chose must have been cheap, because it is pulling away from the seams here and there. It goes without saying I am long past the point I can take the quilt apart and fix these few places. How can I fix it without it looking like a mess?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

​Can you post a picture of the quilt top of say what the pattern was? Without seeing it, I would say your best option is some hand appliqué.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 AM

what a dreadful feeling after all the work you did. Depending on how much of the fabric was used, is it possible to take each piece out and replace it by hand while leaving the quilt sandwich together? Can you make a template of the piece and cover it with a hand appliqued piece of another fabric? (I've done this on vintage quilts that needed a repair.)
Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 AM

I tried attaching a photo, I will try again. It is in jpg, so it should work, don't know why I can't get it attached.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gdmoer View Post
I tried attaching a photo, I will try again. It is in jpg, so it should work, don't know why I can't get it attached.
it may be too large... try making it smaller... lots of hints in the QB Help Center forum
Old 12-29-2013, 08:42 AM

My file is 3.10, and this site won't accept that.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 AM

Yes, you will need to make your file smaller, less than 1 mb is ideal for posting anywhere on the internet. As QuiltnNan said, lots of help on how to do that in the Help Center.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help...g-t166655.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help...s-t168819.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help...p-t229180.html
Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Or you might change your camera or scanner settings to a less "dense" format and recapture the image.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
what a dreadful feeling after all the work you did. Depending on how much of the fabric was used, is it possible to take each piece out and replace it by hand while leaving the quilt sandwich together? Can you make a template of the piece and cover it with a hand appliqued piece of another fabric? (I've done this on vintage quilts that needed a repair.)
Unless you have some sort of applique you can add, this might be the only method to do to fix the repair. If you caught the problem before hand, you could have fused some lightweight fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the problem fabric. Good Luck. Hope you are able to eventually post a picture. I would love to see your quilt.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:55 AM

You could glue it into place, then using embroidery thread put a y type pattern down the seam linking both sides. I would useaspot of school glue because it will wash out.
Otherwise same idea but a fancy sewing machine stitch.