Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting scares me. >

Machine quilting scares me.

Machine quilting scares me.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

I agree with what everyone has said but I learned to quilt before there was an internet. Check to see if there is a quilting class you can sign up for at your LQS. The most important process is getting your backing at the correct tension. Too tights and the top will bunch up, too loose and you will have puckers on the bottom. We all wish you Good Luck !! If you can drive, you can sew !!! .
Old 01-22-2014, 07:22 PM

Annie, I just start to FMQ some designs that I put on the quilt first and it is happening, Look at this picture. I only started with some pot holders and table runners at xmas. I am not afraid anymore. [ATTACH=CONFIG]458146[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I am newer to quilting so I haven't made but one quilt top. Suprisingly it turned out pretty good, but I was afraid to quilt it so I tied it. I know it sounds silly but I am intimidated buy the quilting process. I really don't know where to start. I have read books, and watched tutorials. I have all the needed feet and such but I am afraid to try. I have the desire to sew, but I let the quilting part scare me away. What should I do? Should I just stick to making quilt tops?
Attached Thumbnails img_2546_3.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Buy cheap muslin, buy batting, cut into reasonable sized squares like 14x14 or slightly bigger, I use stencils and pounce but you can also use paper to make your own stencil by removing thread from needle, print out your design on computer paper, sew through it, use ounce on paper. This way you are practicing and not ruining a quilt top. Just dive in. No one is great at it in the beginning, but you will get better with time. Take classes too. I like ann petersen on craftsy.com, she is awesome. She also answers questions very quickly. Patsy thompson also has some great tutorials online. She is teaching at road2ca quilt show this week which has me excited. Another good resource that I am currently using to learn is preprinted quilt panels shown here, just scroll to the bottom
http://www.ericas.com/quilting/tools/skillbuilder.htm
Thanks for the link. They look nice.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:00 AM

I am fairly new to quilting too. I have found this board invaluable as has other web sources and craftsy classes. I love Sharon Schamber's youtube video on basting with boards. No puckering on back if you follow that. There also was a great tutorial here on that. Then I would do SID. I have found the rubbery shelf liner with holes to be most helpful. I cut two approx. 4x6" pieces that I use on both sides of the presser foot. Gently pull the fabric to the sides as you stitch and stitch on the lower side (side that seam was not pressed to). When you go to move the shelf liner, stop stitching and move both at the same time. Learned those hints here. Good luck. I am also learning to FMQ and I do see myself improving. Not ready to do a quilt yet but soon.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:23 AM

Just drop those feed dogs, put on a hopper foot and jump right in. You will be surprised. Think puzzle pieces and no straight lines and you've got it. I started with 4 scrappy placemats. Yes, some of my early stitching is coming out but, they are just placemats, not an entire quilt.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:27 AM

I am new, too, but LOVE FMQing!! Practice your designs on paper a bunch, then a practice sandwich, then jump in. You will only get better each time you do it!!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:28 AM

Don't let it scare you. You are in control. You don't have to make a masterpiece. Try straight lines. A quarter inch from the seam lines is easy and looks good. You could also use some of the fancy stitches if your machine has them. Remember you're in control. Happy quilting.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:34 AM

Practice on some sandwich pieces until you get good enough to try a quilt. It doesn't take long. I was frightened of "ruining" my quilts with bad quilting until a friend asked me to help her with some charity quilts. You get better with practice.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:44 AM

Start with a place mat sized quilt sandwich and just play! Its nothing to be afraid of. It does take practice though. Put your big girl panties on and Just do it!!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 AM

The very first quilt I made I was so intimated that I tied it as well. After I tied it I then I did a diagonal stitching
through each of the blocks. I didn't know enough to either baste the quilt before hand or pin it....I had
no help or book at that time to reference. It worked and we still use that quilt. Keep practicing FMQ and
you will get better each time.